Linux Mint 21 and ThinkPad X1 Carbon gen 6 - won't power down

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Betelgeuse
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 21 and ThinkPad X1 Carbon gen 6 - won't power down

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'm new to Linux. I just installed Linux Mint 21 Vanessa (Cinnamon) on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 6, wiping the hard drive clean in the process. (I had Windows 10, but it became corrupted and would not boot properly).

When I select "Shut Down" from the task bar, the operating system seems to shut down, and I get a blank black screen. However, the power remains on. I have to press the power button several seconds to turn the power off.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Could it be a driver issue? Or maybe I need to use an earlier version of Linux Mint (or a different Linux distribution)?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 21 and ThinkPad X1 Carbon gen 6 - won't power down

Post by Grayfox »

Try using this command in terminal shutdown -P "+0" and see if it shuts down the system.

This command will send the shutdown command with a 0 second delay.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Another method - only as workaround:
Press and hold the Alt and the Print keys together and than type one after the other: S, U and O with a little break between U and O. The computer will reboot.
You can replace O with B if you want to reboot.
Betelgeuse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Betelgeuse »

Thank you for your replies.

The shutdown command yields the same results as selecting "Shut Down" from the toolbar -- the OS does shut down, but I get a black screen (that is still lit) and the power remains on.

I'm sure there are other users with a ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th Gen -- it would be interesting to hear whether they've encountered the same issue.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Do you get the grub boot menu at start up?
If you do, make sure Linux Mint is highlighted and then press E to edit the settings.
Find quiet splash and remove them and only them, then hit F10.

This will get rid of the mint logo on bootup and you will just get a bunch of text scrolling upwards.
This is fine, you're just seeing the verbose side of things.

Then try and shut down the system, this will show the verbose side of things and you should see where the issue ends as there may be a file holding the system up.

If you do not get the Grub menu, try pressing Up while the system is shutting down when you get the mint logo otherwise you will need to edit the grub defaults file located at /etc/default

This can be done via command line and it is best done this way by using sudo nano /etc/default/grub enter grub password.
then edit the
GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=5
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden to GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=visible
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet hidden" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
leave the other lines alone.
Screenshot from 2022-08-08 13-26-30.png
Then you will need to run sudo update-grub
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Qapla
Level 2
Level 2
Location: San Francisco, 6,437 meters SouthEast of the future home of Starfleet Academy

Post by Qapla »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:20 pm I'm sure there are other users with a ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th Gen -- it would be interesting to hear whether they've encountered the same issue.
I have a X1 Gen 8 running Mint 21 without that issue. Shutdown is quick and complete. BUT MY X1 never had Windows, it came with Ubuntu which I replaced with Mint.

I have read many other shutdown problems where Windows was either previously installed or currently double booted. Go into your BIOS and make certain both Fast Boot and Hybrid Sleep are turned off.

I should also mention I have boot option Legacy first then UEFI, and Mint is installed as Legacy. (I see no reason for UEFI in a single person single system machine.)
Qapla' - Success! (Klingon salutation on departure to battle)

Return to “Installation & Boot”