PC boots into windows in dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asif1444
Level 1
Level 1

PC boots into windows in dual boot

Post by asif1444 »

Hello,

I just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon in my HP laptop. I have Windows 10 installed in the main storage and linux in a separate SSD ( I removed the DVD drive and put an SSD using a caddy). I tried changing the boot sequence in BIOS settings but it keeps going back to original and boots automatically to windows whenever I power on. I want it to boot with grub so that every time I can choose the OS.

Just a side note : I had linux mint installed and removed before in my original storage, so the ubuntu option had always been there in the BIOS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: PC boots into windows in dual boot

Post by MiZoG »

Where did you place grub? In the EFI partition of your "main storage" or you created a new EFI partition in the second SSD?
Laptop / motherboard uefi settings have their quirks. You have to set up boot priorities for your devices n then set up priorities for each device separately.
Anyway, boot into a live session and post the output of inxi -F and sudo parted --list to start with tracing more accurately the cause of the problem.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Maybe to make you feel better about it, I have exactly the same problem on a desktop PLUS the BIOS has now changed to Chinese !!!!!
Acer Veriton VX2660G.

Most importantly, with the Linux Mint 21 on an SSD installed it does work.
Both installed and it boots to Windows.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Obvious question - when you changed the boot order in BIOS, did you save the changes before rebooting?

Where grub lives should not make any difference and unless you took steps to prevent it, grub will have installed in the EFI partition in your win drive.

EDIT - thinking sideways - turn off auto updates in win, I wondering if win updates are putting win back at the top of the boot list.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”