Startup problem after upgrade to LM 21 (network related) (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lefoid
Level 1
Level 1

Startup problem after upgrade to LM 21 (network related) (Solved)

Post by lefoid »

Hi all,

I have just upgraded to LM 21 (Cinnamon) and a small problem appears.

After entering my login-password, the screen is black with the mouse in the middle; mouse moves normally by the way.

Everything starts after 2 or 3 minutes, without any internet connexion. It is an ethernet (wire) connexion that (used to) connects automatically.

In order to get internet working, I have to start GUFW and enable it (strangely, it is disabled on every start). I checked on the

Code: Select all

/etc/ufw/ufw.conf
and it's enable.

Once this is done, everything works normally.

Question then as it seems to me that UFW is part of the system now, is it safe to remove and purge GUFW / UFW and then re install it ?

Could it be something else in the systemd process that cause this issue ? (I have these services that failed on boot : casper-md5check.service,
modprobe@efi_pstore.service, modprobe@pstore.service, modprobe@pstore_zone.service, modprobe@ramoops.service, but they don't really look related
to my current problem).

Another upgrade to LM 21 (Mate) on the same computer didn't result in the same issue.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lefoid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Startup problem after upgrade to LM 21 (network related)

Post by lefoid »

Further to my initial post, I tried to force the start of ufw on start-up, by adding sudo ufw enable (to Start Application (or whatever it's called
in English)), but without success.

By the way, I uninstalled and purged ufw /gufw to see behaviour and then the start-up is normal and perfect.

I re installed ufw / gufw and back to the same issue.

I didn't find any solution regarding ufw / gufw staying enable on start-up.

At the moment, my solution is to open another shell (CTL + ALT F1 ie), and then, once connected, type sudo ufw enable.
CTL + ALT F7 shows me that session is started.

Small but annoying problem, so any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
lefoid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Startup problem after upgrade to LM 21 (network related)

Post by lefoid »

I finally find the solution to this problem. The guy between the desk and ....

Well, Firewalld was installed also, conflicting with UFW / GUFW. By uninstalling Firewalld, UFW and GUFW, and then
re installing UFW / GUFW, everything is working fine now.

So, this is solved !

Return to “Installation & Boot”