[SOLVED] Newbies easy solution to Mint install not seeing SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Newbies easy solution to Mint install not seeing SSD

Post by TitusAduxas »

Hi all
My first post so please be patient :wink:
I decided to ditch windows and install Linux to dual boot initially. I chose Zorin which flew on my SSD but didn't get on with it so to cut a long story short I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. All was well till it came to choose a disk to install to and shock horror my 500GB SSD boot disk was nowhere to be seen, only one of the two SCSI hard disks that are fitted in my PC. So I joined here to hopefully find a solution but was horrified when I did a post search to see hundreds of postings about installation horror stories along with millions of solutions, some of them so involved that Einstein himself would be daunted. I myself at that point lost the will to live.
I trawled through I don't know how many and also went onto YouTube. After a while I had Kind of got half an idea why the disk did not show. Here is what I did. Excuse the simple language.

1. I downloaded a free Partition manager
2. I noted there were 3 partitions in total (2 tiny ones and 1 big baby)
3. I reduced the size of the big partition by 200GB
4. That left 4 partitions on the disk.
5. The 4th partition that that was created by reducing partition 3 was left as unallocated space

That was it. I then went through the reboot process and booted Mint from a live flash drive and when I clicked the install Mint button on the Cinnamon desktop it picked up the 200GB partition immediately, formatted the partition and installed Cinammon. Happy days :D. There was no sign of the SCSI hard disk's.

I thought I would pass this experience on because it occurred to me that I am probably not unique in my experience and it may well, if someone is searching, give some hope that there can and is light at the end of the tunnel and not to give up. I am not a newbie to computers per se only Linux and though I have had a computer of some description since 1980 I would never claim to know a lot about them but I am very bold in the way I tackle these issues that occur, of which in my time of using computers there have been many.

Thanks for this forum

Titus
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Newbies easy solution to Mint install not seeing SSD

Post by SMG »

TitusAduxas wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:09 pm After a while I had Kind of got half an idea why the disk did not show.
Welcome to the forum, Titus.

It did not show because all the space was used by your existing install on that disk. Until you create free space to install an operating system, the operating system can not be installed.

You are correct that is a very common problem. We get requests for help on that type of situation a lot on this forum. Those were probably the posts which gave you the idea.

I have edited your title to mark it as SOLVED. Unless that is in the title, people will assume you are looking for help when you post in this forum section.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Newbies easy solution to Mint install not seeing SSD

Post by TitusAduxas »

Hi SMG

You are quite right it's the culmination of lots of snippets of info not just one specific post. Sometimes you can fire from the hip and score a bullseye !!. I just hope my post helps someone.

TA

Return to “Installation & Boot”