select wrong partition for boot loader installation option [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nazokkar
Level 1
Level 1

select wrong partition for boot loader installation option [Solved]

Post by nazokkar »

Hi
I mistakenly set the device for boot loader installation option to nvme0n1
But I had created nvme0n1p partition
But now everything is working properly
Do I need to do the installation again?
Will it be a problem? :roll:

Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: select wrong partition for boot loader installation option

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

nazokkar wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:31 am mistakenly set the device for boot loader installation option to nvme0n1
Who told you it is the wrong place?

The right place is the disk (nvme0n1) not any partition. Installer is on charge to mount and install grub-efi on EFI partition you have created (nvmen0n1pX)..

If you have only one disk, not another one with other system pre-installed on UEFI mode (so no previous EFI partition) or it was not connected when installing, you have nothing to do, just have fun with installed Mint. :wink:

PD: Notice "if" condition. In case you have installed on secondary/external disk and main/previous disk already have a system installed on UEFI mode, because a Mint installer bug, Mint loader will be placed on main disk's EFI partition. Never mind you have created an own EFI partition on secondary/Mint's disk, it wont be used so empty.

In that case open a terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T) and post back cat /etc/fstab result to confim and also lsblk -f if you want Mint laoder installed on its own disk's EFI partition.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
nazokkar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nazokkar »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:49 am
nazokkar wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:31 am mistakenly set the device for boot loader installation option to nvme0n1
Who told you it is the wrong place?

The right place is the disk (nvme0n1) not any partition. Installer is on charge to mount and install grub-efi on EFI partition you have created (nvmen0n1pX)..

If you have only one disk, not another one with other system pre-installed on UEFI mode (so no previous EFI partition) or it was not connected when installing, you have nothing to do, just have fun with installed Mint. :wink:

PD: Notice "if" condition. In case you have installed on secondary/external disk and main/previous disk already have a system installed on UEFI mode, because a Mint installer bug, Mint loader will be placed on main disk's EFI partition. Never mind you have created an own EFI partition on secondary/Mint's disk, it wont be used so empty.

In that case open a terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T) and post back cat /etc/fstab result to confim and also lsblk -f if you want Mint laoder installed on its own disk's EFI partition.
Thanks
i just have one disk

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/nvme0n1p2 during installation
UUID=f3506fea-4110-49d8-a5d2-d5cfb018bd9b /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
UUID=0541-04A9  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# /home was on /dev/nvme0n1p3 during installation
UUID=23f8b482-a75f-4abd-84e4-41ba060ca65c /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/nvme0n1p4 during installation
UUID=573ede6b-d924-41af-811f-b8e8b171dc73 none            swap    sw              0       0

Code: Select all

$ lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1                                                                            
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat   FAT32       0541-04A9                               966M     1% /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 ext4   1.0         f3506fea-4110-49d8-a5d2-d5cfb018bd9b   41.5G    16% /
├─nvme0n1p3 ext4   1.0         23f8b482-a75f-4abd-84e4-41ba060ca65c   91.8G    40% /home
└─nvme0n1p4 swap   1           573ede6b-d924-41af-811f-b8e8b171dc73                [SWAP]
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Ok. Unless you have another question you can edit first post (click on pencil icon on the right) and add [Solved] to subject. :wink:
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”