21 Upgrade

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

21 Upgrade

Post by borgward »

It is several weeks since Mint 21 was released. How soon will the upgrade be available? Is it taking more time than usual to upgrade? Will it be available from the Update Manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 21 Upgrade

Post by Bolle1961 »

Besides all the topics on this forum, see the Mint blog https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4378
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

borgward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 am Is it taking more time than usual to upgrade?
That makes no sense. It's the first time an in-place upgrade tool with a GUI is available at all. What's 'usual'?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Moem wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:29 am
borgward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 am Is it taking more time than usual to upgrade?
That makes no sense. It's the first time an in-place upgrade tool with a GUI is available at all. What's 'usual'?
Don't know. I have never upgraded. In the past I have always installed from DVD, replacing old OS with new, retaining separate Home. I take it that this will be the first time an upgrade will be available.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:57 am Besides all the topics on this forum, see the Mint blog https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4378
Looks like it would be simpler to install from live session. I do have a separate Home.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

borgward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:52 am I take it that this will be the first time an upgrade will be available.
Like I just said: it's the first time an in-place upgrade tool with a GUI is available. Previously, an upgrade was possible but took place through terminal commands.

I did the upgrade, following the directions that were given through the blog. I found it quite doable, and I also have a separate home partition. But you are not me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The question about the needed time has been asked in the blog. The question was:
I have had several users ask me in the Mint Discord what the eta is for an average pc.
You mentioned that it may take hours, but do you have some more exact numbers which I could share?
And the official answer:
I can’t give you an answer. It really depends on:

– Your internet connection. The upgrade downloads GB of data.
– Your computer specs (HDD write speed, CPU/RAM). Once all the updates are downloaded, they still need to be applied.. APT is heavy on resources while extracting packages and upgrading them. This is fast on higher specs but it can take a lot more time on lower specs.
source
Monflyer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monflyer »

This upgrade is for techies only - I have been with Mint since 18 and the upgrades to 20.3 have been straightforward. I have given up with moving to LM21. Apparently I have 50+ foreign packages ( is this good or bad ? ) and I haven't a clue which I should keep and which I should let the upgrade delete. If I do want to keep them then there is no simple selection process - you have to manually transcribe from one field to another. In my opinion a poorly designed GUI and I'll be sticking with 20.3 as long as possible unless they make the process easier.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I think I will stay with 20.3 until the upgrade problems are resolved or there is a security issue that needs to be resolved.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

Monflyer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:33 pm This upgrade is for techies only - I have been with Mint since 18 and the upgrades to 20.3 have been straightforward. I have given up with moving to LM21. Apparently I have 50+ foreign packages ( is this good or bad ? ) and I haven't a clue which I should keep and which I should let the upgrade delete. If I do want to keep them then there is no simple selection process - you have to manually transcribe from one field to another. In my opinion a poorly designed GUI and I'll be sticking with 20.3 as long as possible unless they make the process easier.
the upgrade couldn't be any simpler! i just did it on this machine just before coming here. i let it delete all files it wanted to and everything seems to be as expected. in fact, i don't see any difference between 20.3 and 21. kept all my files where they were before upgrade.

could not have worked any better! :)

thanks to the team for creating that tool
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Monflyer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:33 pm This upgrade is for techies only - I have been with Mint since 18 and the upgrades to 20.3 have been straightforward.
How have you been doing them? And can you no longer use that same method, since you find the new tool to be hard to use?

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

borgward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:37 pm I think I will stay with 20.3 until the upgrade problems are resolved or there is a security issue that needs to be resolved.
What problems do you mean?

Keep in mind that there is no obligation to use the new tool. If you prefer to reinstall, you can of course still do that, just like you've done so far.
Personally I found the new way quicker and easier because it retained more of my personal settings and customizations.

borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Moem wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:10 am
borgward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:37 pm I think I will stay with 20.3 until the upgrade problems are resolved or there is a security issue that needs to be resolved.
What problems do you mean?
I found comments about problems when I Googled How to upgrade to 21.0 and when the upgrade gui would be available. I don't remember exactly what they were. I was expecting an Update Manager option to upgrade, just like there was an update option when updates were available.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

borgward wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 am I was expecting an Update Manager option to upgrade, just like there was an update option when updates were available.
I understand. But installing the upgrade tool is really easy: just two short commands. From then on, it has a graphical interface just like the Update Manager.

FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

+1 :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”