[SOLVED] Error Installation in Asus Prime H510M-E

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
herra
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Error Installation in Asus Prime H510M-E

Post by herra »

I bought a PC with:
Asus Prime H510M-e
Intel I5 10400
2 x Kingston 8Gb.
2 x WD 1T Hard Drives.
I saw some posts on the forum about this board and its problems. I can to booting from a USB pendrive with Live Linux 21, I partitioned the #1 hard-drive without problems and when starting the installation process everything was fine until the selection of partition type "ext4" and mount point "/" and it gave me a warning about a "EFI partition not detected" continue the installation and finish in a ERROR.
This is my first motherboard with UEFI and I am quite confused as to how to proceed. Attach to the post a series of images about the bios and how it is configured.
I don't know why it doesn't identify the hard disks suitable for booting and it only does it with the USB pen drive.
I would appreciate if anyone sees anything that needs to be changed.
Attachments
CSM-screen.jpg
boot-screen.jpg
main-screen.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
herra
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Error Installation in Asus Prime H510M-E

Post by herra »

Attach the last image:
Attachments
secureboot.jpg
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Assuming you are booting in UEFI mode - boot your install stick, open a terminal and run efibootmgr. If you get a message 'EFI variables not supported' you are booting legacy, anything else is UEFI.

For UEFI boot you need an EFI partition = size 100MB, format fat32 and set the flags esp & boot.

With UEFI the bootloader, grub, is stored in the EFI partition.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
herra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by herra »

Thanks AndyMH.

Output:
$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0002,0003,0004
Boot0001* UEFI: KingstonDataTraveler 108PMAP,Partition 1
Boot0002* UEFI: CD/DVD Drive
Boot0003* UEFI: Removable Device
Boot0004* UEFI: Network Device
I assume I booting in UEFI mode, right?
Let's see if I understood you correctly:
1) format the hard drive with a first fat32 partition of 100Mg. flags "esp&boot" for grub storage
2) Second partition ext4 for Linux Mint
With this steps I can do installations normally on the following partitions?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes you are booting in UEFI mode so you need an EFI partition and a single partition for /.

You can create these partitions with gparted and then use the 'something else' option when installing, the next screen shows your drives and partitions, click on the ext4 partition you created for /, click the change button - tell it to reformat ext4 and use it for / (this is on a drop down list). At the bottom of the screen it asks where to put the bootloader, you select the drive not a partition (and it will find your EFI partition automatically).

Note - booting UEFI is best done from a drive with a GPT partition table (in gparted view > device information). You can create a new partition table - device > create partition table. If you do this it will wipe the drive.

Or you could do it the easy way - select the 'erase and install' option in the installer, point it at the correct drive and it will do the rest.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
herra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by herra »

Success!
The installation was like "old school" without problems. The only thing that seemed strange to me is that the grub menu does not appear but I suppose that when I install the second distro something will appear to give me the option to choose.
Thank you for your help AndyMH.
herra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by herra »

With the second distro I was not successful, every time I try to install with the same USB flash drive method, the grub menu appears to use it as a LiveCD or directly go to install. By the way the second distro that I try to install in Trisquel 10.
Whatever option I take it gets a black screen and I think the video even cuts out because the monitor goes into standby mode and stays that way.
Is the "fat32" partition method for a single system or does it allow multiboot?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Does Trisquel come with non-free firmware? AFAIK the distribution advocates 'libre-software' principles. I doubt you can install it or even boot it in compatibility mode on your new motherboard without that firmware.
herra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by herra »

:(
I like a lot that distro.
Thank!

Return to “Installation & Boot”