Grabbed by Grub.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Grabbed by Grub.

Post by JohnP »

Been away for the weekend so I downloaded some routine upgrades on 15th August as I’ve done regularly for over two years. I switched off and on again after a few minutes. Now My 2011 Dell P.C. Aspire 5750 with only two compartments and Mint Tricia I just get the message:

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. ……..and a grub cursor.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Grabbed by Grub.

Post by Cosmo. »

This sounds, as if the installation process was not yet complete, when you turned off the machine.

Boot with the live system, which you used to install Mint. Launch from the menu Timeshift and point there to the partition with the snapshots. Than restore the system to the last snapshot before this bad upgrade.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

Try entering "normal" at the grub prompt. That might get you to your grub menu.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Hi Cosmo

Not likely as a Download is complete message was displayed. The message you need to re- boot to activate updates was highlighted in red.

I’m trying to save existing files so trying to avoid wiping them.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Hawaiihemd wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:58 am Try entering "normal" at the grub prompt. That might get you to your grub menu.
Hi Cosmo

Not likely as a Download is complete message was displayed. The message you need to re- boot to activate updates was highlighted in red.

I’m trying to save existing files so trying to avoid wiping them.

Sorry Hawaiihemd, I thought I was replying to Cosmo!

Thank’s, I’ll try that and get back to you.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wrote "It sounds, as if ...". I can only judge, what I read and I cannot read, what not had been described. In the starting point there was no word about a message, only the words "after a few minutes".
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Hi Hawaiihemd

No, writing normal Normal ‘normal’ “normal” or “Normal” does’t work. Using ‘Normal’ returns the message can’t find ‘Normal’

Realising my Acer is quirky and the key marked 2 and (shift) “ is actually the @ key, @normal@ is not recognised either!

Hi Cosmo

The only message on the screen was to confirm that the update was complete and I needed to restart the computer. I was trying to be accurate in my subsequent actions which was to switch the machine off, wait and then switch on again after a short interval.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Ah no,I remember now. I tried to switch off via the software but, as has happened before, it does not close down so when it is clear this isn’t going to happen and there is no Linux Mint symbol displayed, only a blank screen I have had to hard exit via the On/ off switch. As I have had to do regularly over the last two years.

Apologies if I’ve mislead anyone!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Aha! Most likely you damaged the file system with the hard exit. In this case also my advice with Timeshift (did you even try it?) will most likely not help you.

Backup all user data and install new with formatting the drive.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Is there a way to access files as The P.C. Is limited to a grub prompt and if I press F2 as soon as an Acer prompt appears I get a menu where I can scroll, change and save boot settings. I have back ups about a month old which I could run and update but can I get to the more recent versions held on the P.C.through either of theses options?
PiperKev
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PiperKev »

When I've been getting the GRUB prompt lately, I type "exit", and booting continues normally. Have you tried that?
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Thanks PiperKev

One step forward, now I get the message:

No bootable device— insert boot disk and press any key.

I can do that once I’ve accepted whether I’m going to lose files.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

JohnP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:36 am Is there a way to access files
Plug in the stick with the live system which you used to install Mint.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Thanks, yes I booted from the original stick and got Mint working but couldn’t find my files, so I’ve loaded each file from a back up stick and then bought them up to date. Now considering whether to re-install Tricia or go for Valerie (?) assuming that Wendy or Wanda is in the future.

Thank you for time and thoughts for this novice code-phobic user. And apologies for my lack of knowledge in this.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Who is Valerie? Or Wendy and Wanda?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

When booted with the Live OS, go to your hard drive with a file explorer. Mint will automatically mount the partition as you click it. If the partition is not named, you may be able to recognize it by its capacity.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Hi Cosmo

I thought that the different versions of Mint had female names, Tricia then Ulyana and thought I’d seen V as Valerie. Just a joke about W being for Wendy or Wanda when there is a future release of Mint.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A method to complicate conversion. The only used name with a leading V is currently Vanessa.
JohnP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnP »

Accepted.

Thank you for your help, think we can close this thread now.

Return to “Installation & Boot”