What type of USB stick for use as boot medium. (solved).

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

What type of USB stick for use as boot medium. (solved).

Post by Wompoo »

I have had many unsuccessful attempts to create a boot disk on a USB.
However, I finally found two USB sticks in my collection that did work and served the function ok.
Even a recently purchased one, bought expressly for the task, failed.

This is one of the threads I started documenting my failed attempts:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=378114

My question is:

What do I look for a choose when purchasing new USB sticks, for this purpose, in the future?

Jim.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What type of USB stick for use as boot medium.

Post by Dan-cer »

I read through the other thread. If it would fail only on one PC, then it could simply be that the PC does not accept an USB stick to boot. For example, that is the case with my Thinkpad T430. I always have to insert a Linux live-dvd there to boot.

At least you can check that. If in the BIOS/UEFI the stick is not listed at all, only dvd remains as an option.

Otherwise, I don't think the "USB type" is crucial here. Basically any type should work. Unless it is defective. If you want the installation to be fast, use a fast stick.

You are already running on Linux, so you are using the inbuilt usb image writer. I ask myself - and this forum - what the best tool would be if one is running only windows so far.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

According Ventoy team on Github, only the media from some great manufacturers work, as Sandisk , they list 2, you can check this by the way the medium is listed by the system in lsusb you have the manufacturer's name, otherwise you have only some for example usb 3.0 drive mentionned ...

I personnaly use ventoy with this kind of noname USB key from 8 years ago and it works well, I check it regularly, never an error, name is Emtec 8 GB
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Dan-cer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 am it could simply be that the PC does not accept an USB stick to boot. For example, that is the case with my Thinkpad T430. I always have to insert a Linux live-dvd there to boot.
A T430 will boot from a USB stick - I have 4 x T430.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:13 am A T430 will boot from a USB stick - I have 4 x T430.
Interesting. As it was not possible so far here on my laptop, I'm interested to learn how I can make it possible. I wrote in thinkpad forum about that and didn't get a solution.

However, as this happens here so far, maybe that the threadstarter has that issue too.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Menard wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:08 am According Ventoy team on Github, only the media from some great manufacturers work, as Sandisk , they list 2, you can check this by the way the medium is listed by the system in lsusb you have the manufacturer's name, otherwise you have only some for example usb 3.0 drive mentionned ...

I personnaly use ventoy with this kind of noname USB key from 8 years ago and it works well, I check it regularly, never an error, name is Emtec 8 GB
Thanks for the reply Menard.
However, I am not at all sure what you mean.
Apologies for that.

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Dan-cer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 am I read through the other thread. If it would fail only on one PC, then it could simply be that the PC does not accept an USB stick to boot. ............
It would fail on two computers and during other attempts, on three!
Desktop PC #1
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I normally just F12 on boot to get the BIOS boot list and select the usb stick. I have BIOS boot mode set to Both, can't remember whether it is legacy first or UEFI first, but both work.

Burn my sticks with mint's usb image writer or use ventoy.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:15 am I normally just F12 on boot to get the BIOS boot list and select the usb stick. I have BIOS boot mode set to Both, can't remember whether it is legacy first or UEFI first, but both work.

Burn my sticks with mint's usb image writer or use ventoy.
That's good Andy. I am pleased that you and others don't have the same problem. I have spent many hours with many USB sticks and most have not worked, as I have said.
I am happy for you!

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I buy known brands, e.g. Toshiba (now Kioxia), Kingston, Samsung.
John_B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by John_B »

"Etcher is a program that allows you to easily and comfortably record images of your operating system to SD cards and any removable disks, and to perform this operation in three steps, everything is simple! The developer’s motto is, creating an installation media for the selected operating system should be a simple task, we chose the media, no matter the card or flash drive, we created it, we enjoy it.

The main feature of the program is that it supports the three most common operating systems: Windows, Linux and macOS. For example, in a Windows environment, you can create a bootable flash drive for Mac OS. At the same time, the program has extremely limited functionality, however, the abundance of unnecessary functions is also not liked by all users. The interface itself is simple and not overloaded with unnecessary elements. Despite the lack of a Russian-language version, the program is intuitive."

Etcher - Official Website
https://balena-etcher.eu/
LM 21 Cinnamon | Dell Latitude E4310 (A15) | Core i5 560m | Mobile Intel QS57 Express | 8 GB RAM | CT2000MX500SSD1 | ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD in an S251SMU33EP | Intel AC 7260 | ECUSB3S11 (NEC / Renasis 720202) 34mm ExpressCard
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:05 pm I buy known brands, e.g. Toshiba (now Kioxia), Kingston, Samsung.
I will do that in future, and report back; if necessary.
Thanks again Andy.
Desktop PC #1
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Sandisk are owned by Western Digital these days. Transcend drives are also good for this purpose, I have several of theirs including a couple branded as TDK.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

I use MicroCenter brand 3.0 or 3.1 flash usb drives at least partially because they are inexpensive and 99% they work and are fast. I also have a MC down the street so they are easily obtainable. They also have a little light that flashes when they are being used, so I know. (beware - some don't have the light - just swap them for those that do, they will know what you mean.) 1 or 2 old ones hit the trash. out of dozens.

For a Mint/Linux/Unix type of iso, Mint's "USB Image Writer" (in Mint menu) should work fine. For win I generally use Rufus.
If not, format the stick (Mint's "USB stick formatter" ) or GPARTED to Fat32 and try again.
If it has "multiple partitions" on it, you will have to open it with GPARTED, and remove all those partitions, and then format it Fat32.
Also, try a different iso from a different source. Some iso's are simply bad and won't boot, especially on a UEFI system.
Depending on your BIOS setting, a MBR stick won't boot on a UEFI system. GPARTED is your friend.
If all else fails, GPARTED wipe it and start over.
Last edited by Kris345 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

Also check
in BIOS
Security / Secure boot / if "enabled", consider "disabled".

Startup / UEFI/Legacy / {UEFI only or Legacy only or BOTH} consider "BOTH"
Startup / UEFI/Legacy Priority - consider "UEFI first"

Any of those, if set wrong, could prevent many sticks from booting.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

USB stick quality.

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the many good replies.
The conclusion to my problem appears to be most likely the quality of the USB sticks I have been buying.
I will seek out and purchase quality brand names, as has been suggested.

I will mark this thread as marked.

Jiim.
Desktop PC #1

Return to “Installation & Boot”