[SOLVED] Downgrade Packages Failed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Downgrade Packages Failed

Post by JTJersey »

I've upgraded Mint 20.3 to 21 with no problems on 5 systems so far. My primary system has three separate hard drives attached to it. I control which one is booting with a push button panel on the front of the case. My daily use system is Mint Mate 20.3 which is the problem. The other two hard drives are a Mint Cinnamon 20.3 which upgraded to 21 easily and a new SSD with a clean install of Mint Mate 21. I want to upgrade my daily use system from Mint Mate 20.3 to 21, but get this error:
Downgrade Packages Error.png
How do I get around this error to continue the upgrade? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Downgrade Packages Failed

Post by deepakdeshp »

Did you follow the update process as per the instructions?Where do you face this problem?Which step? Copy pasting results is easier to read then photos.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

One of the first screens in the upgrade process insists that you set up Timeshift. I've done this on 5 other systems so far and have not found a way around it. Anyway I clicked on "Fix" and Timeshift set about creating a backup. It seemed to be taking an awfully long time and I realized it was also backing up my Home partition so I stopped it and cancelled out of the upgrade. I opened Timeshift and deleted the snapshot is was trying to create and rebooted the system. I opened Timeshift myself and set it to create a backup of the system minus my Home, which it did. I restarted the Mint Upgrade and that's when the error occurred.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

in the mint upgrade tool there's a menu icon (three horizontal bars) which you need to click on. The program settings are in there, among which is the option to skip Timeshift snapshot creation.

Simplest fix is to uninstall all the libreoffice packages and re-install it again after the upgrade.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

I uninstalled LibreOffice and installed the FlatPak version which is a newer version, but get the same error about liblibreoffice-java. I can go into Package Manager and delete them manually, but not sure if that's a safe route.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

antikythera wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:21 pm in the mint upgrade tool there's a menu icon (three horizontal bars) which you need to click on. The program settings are in there, among which is the option to skip Timeshift snapshot creation.

Simplest fix is to uninstall all the libreoffice packages and re-install it again after the upgrade.
Thanks for the tip on where to look for those options.
Last edited by SMG on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added close quote tag to fix quote attribution.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

JTJersey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:38 pm I can go into Package Manager and delete them manually, but not sure if that's a safe route.
It's fine
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Downgrade Packages Failed

Post by JTJersey »

I removed the offending java packages and resumed the Mint 21 upgrade. Everything went fine. I'm using it now. Had a couple of programs I had to reinstall like every system I've done, but once reinstalled they worked normally with no data loss. Thanks for everyone's input.

Return to “Installation & Boot”