[SOLVED] Linux Mint 21 installed but not detected when booting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hyacinthmoons
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 21 installed but not detected when booting

Post by hyacinthmoons »

Hello,

I'm new to Linux Mint but I've used Ubuntu before so I was confident enough to install Linux Mint 21 on my laptop (previously running on Windows 10) on my own. Obviously I made a mistake, haha. It worked fine until I restarted the laptop right after the installation was done. For some reason it seems like my laptop is trying to boot Windows still, but of course it doesn't work because Windows isn't installed anymore, and it doesn't detect Linux Mint. I've tried reinstalling (it did say Linux Mint was already installed when I did) but it didn't change anything.

The exact text on my screen when booting is the following:
Boot device not found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk
Hard disk - (3F0)
F2 System Diagnostics
For more information please visit : [link to HP support]
So, for now I have a laptop that I can't use at all. I don't even know how I managed to make it detect my USB drive with Linux Mint on it the second time. If anyone has an idea of what I could do to fix this, please let me know!

Oh, just in case that helps, my laptop is a HP ProBook 640.

Thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help and have a nice day.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 21 installed but not detected when booting

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please boot from live USB . Open in the menu system report -> system information -> click the copy button; paste in your next post.
The installation guide https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bendipa »

You will get that message if you are running your computer in Legacy BIOS mode but have installed the system to boot in UEFI mode (or vice-versa). You also get the same error if no system is present.

If you can boot from your Live Mint USB drive, run the following commands from the terminal (press 'Cntrl' +'Alt' + 'T' buttons):
sudo parted -l then
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce (Una), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

You didnt mention what make your laptop is. I experienced this on my Dell. It booted straight into Windows 10 after I installed Mint 21.I discovered there were two entries in the bios one for window the other for Linux and by changing the order of these placing the Linux (titled ubuntu)on first it now presents me with the usual grub screen to choose either Linux or Windows.

1. I pressed "esc" to to get a "startup menu"
2. then I pressed f10 to go to "Bios Setup"
3. then I pressed the right arrow to choose "System Configuration"
4. The bottom item in the list here is "Boot Options".
5. Press enter then use the down arrow to choose "OS Boot Manager"
6. Click that and you will see Windows Boot Manager and below it Ubuntu boot manager listed.
7. Use the f5 orf6 key to swop the order to put Ubuntu at the top.
8. then hit f10 to save this and exit.

This worked for me
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bendipa »

OP said he doesn't have Windows.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce (Una), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
hyacinthmoons
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hyacinthmoons »

Aughey wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:09 pm You didnt mention what make your laptop is. I experienced this on my Dell. It booted straight into Windows 10 after I installed Mint 21.I discovered there were two entries in the bios one for window the other for Linux and by changing the order of these placing the Linux (titled ubuntu)on first it now presents me with the usual grub screen to choose either Linux or Windows.

1. I pressed "esc" to to get a "startup menu"
2. then I pressed f10 to go to "Bios Setup"
3. then I pressed the right arrow to choose "System Configuration"
4. The bottom item in the list here is "Boot Options".
5. Press enter then use the down arrow to choose "OS Boot Manager"
6. Click that and you will see Windows Boot Manager and below it Ubuntu boot manager listed.
7. Use the f5 orf6 key to swop the order to put Ubuntu at the top.
8. then hit f10 to save this and exit.

This worked for me
Oh wow that worked for me too somehow despite Windows not even being installed anymore?? Thanks a lot!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”