(S)Computer password probem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(S)Computer password probem

Post by Alvin »

When, yesterday, I updated from LM 19.1 to LM21, I did create a password, but I chose not to require it to boot the system; and that is what I now have. Oddly, though, when I suspend and, later, awaken the system, it asks me for the password.

I prefer not to have to enter my password to awaken my computer. Could someone please tell me how to remove this odd requirement?

Otherwise, I am enjoying LM 21. It seems faster than was LM 19.1. Thanks Linux!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Computer password probem

Post by motoryzen »

I updated from LM 19.1 to LM21
Um...that's impossible IF you mean upgraded through the Update Manager. must be 19.3 to upgrade to 20, must be 20.3 to upgrade to 21
I'm guessing you mean clean install.

Regardless either way, if it's asking you for a password and you know you didn't create one, just press enter and it should let you back in.

If you want it not to ask for password upon waking it back up... This forum topic has multiple possible resolutions

Try the screensaver options part first. If that doesn't work, Smurpho's suggestion about adding the group " nopasswdlogin " is a more worst case way to accomplish that.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
twerq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Computer password probem

Post by twerq »

Check the "Screensaver" in "System Settings". Try to disable computer locks there
Check "Login Window" in "System Settings". Tab "Users" can take your credentials to perform autologin

Return to “Installation & Boot”