(SOLVED) Linux mint stuck at logo after installing Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Abaw245
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Linux mint stuck at logo after installing Windows

Post by Abaw245 »

Hello,as the title suggest I'm currently stuck at the Linux Mint logo whenever I boot into it.

For context, I have 3 separate drives, one for data,one for Linux mint and another one for windows 10.
I decided to wipe the windows 10 drive and install 11 on it and everything seemed to be working, I installed the updates and then set grub as the first boot option on the bios, but everytime I try to boot into Linux mint it just hangs at the logo for a few minutes and then goes into emergency mode.
I have tried recovery mode but it either gets stuck or glitches out and doesn't work in the end.
I know I could just reinstall Linux mint and solve my problem, but I really don't want to spend hours backing up everything and then reinstalling all my programs.
Any help is highly appreciated

Machine details:
Acer nitro 5 an515-56
16gb ram
Nvidia GTX 1650
Using Linux mint 21 cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
a
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux mint stuck at logo after installing Windows

Post by Dan-cer »

Are you familiar with the bios / uefi settings? If so, go in there. There is a specific button for your PC. In these settings go to "Boot" (or similar name) and select Linux Mint (probably: "ubuntu") for the top priority. Then press F10, confirm and reboot.

After that Linux should boot first. In Linux open the terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

You should see in the output that Windows boot manager is listed. After the next reboot the grub menu should be there again.

Plan B

If you are not familiar with those settings, you also can unplug the windows harddrive. When you are in Linux afterwards, you can plug in that harddrive and do

sudo update-grub
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Abaw245
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Abaw245 »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:37 am Are you familiar with the bios / uefi settings? If so, go in there. There is a specific button for your PC. In these settings go to "Boot" (or similar name) and select Linux Mint (probably: "ubuntu") for the top priority. Then press F10, confirm and reboot.

After that Linux should boot first. In Linux open the terminal and type:

sudo update-grub

You should see in the output that Windows boot manager is listed. After the next reboot the grub menu should be there again.

Plan B

If you are not familiar with those settings, you also can unplug the windows harddrive. When you are in Linux afterwards, you can plug in that harddrive and do

sudo update-grub
Maybe i haven't made my issue clear enough, but that's not the problem, i already said i set grub(ubuntu) as the first one in the boot order and it boots just fine, problem comes when i choose to boot into linux mint where it just hangs at the linux mint logo and goes into emergency mode, this happened after i installed windows in a separate drive.
a
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

OK, thank you for clarification. And how does plan B is working?
Abaw245
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Abaw245 »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:48 am OK, thank you for clarification. And how does plan B is working?
I have a laptop and taking out the SSD doesn't feel like it would be worth it considering I would have to unscrew everything and I already had bad experience with unscrewing this laptop specifically,so I'm sorry if I can't follow your suggestion
a
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Try to search for this problem. I found this topic about a similar issue:
viewtopic.php?t=308822
booting from USB and trying to run a Timeshift restore from there
Abaw245
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Abaw245 »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:05 am Try to search for this problem. I found this topic about a similar issue:
viewtopic.php?t=308822
booting from USB and trying to run a Timeshift restore from there
Using timeshift solved the issue, I'll keep in mind to make a snapshot before doing stuff like this, thanks a lot for the help.
a
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: (SOLVED) Linux mint stuck at logo after installing Windows

Post by Dan-cer »

Great!

Return to “Installation & Boot”