is 32GB enough?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

is 32GB enough?

Post by bmike1 »

I'm getting my children their own computers and they come with 32GB SSDs. Is that going to be big enough for mint21 xfce?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
:)~Mikey~(:
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Re: is 32GB enough?

Post by bmike1 »

in my research I gleaned that 15GB was barely adequate so I suppose 32 is big enough. What packages could I remove with apt to make more space?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

bmike1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:15 amI'm getting my children their own computers and they come with 32GB SSDs. Is that going to be big enough for mint21 xfce?
Plenty of room and I have 20.3 Cinnamon on my one.
However, what are they going to be doing with them? It does limit how many other things they might want to store on the computer. One way round that is to keep giving them USB sticks to use as extra storage. You can keep buying more as they loose them...
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

my daughter already has an external ssd so she is good for a while. my son is younger so I'll do the USB thing with him. Good idea buddy!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

bmike1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:19 ammy daughter already has an external ssd so she is good for a while. my son is younger so I'll do the USB thing with him. Good idea buddy!
Yes, the external SSD via SATA - USB. Tons of storage that way.

The one I have originally had Windows 10 on it. The owner simply wanted to find someone to have and use it. Another I had dealing with had Win 10. The second one had 1GB of storage left, my one had over half used and no room for an update. I installed Linux (did it on both) and on my one used 10GB with quite a few extra apps added. Yes, not much room on it now but it could be cleaned out. Admittedly I call it my Screwdriver and it is mainly used to do emails when away or fix other people's computer problems with.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do not forget to store Timeshift snapshots on the external drives. This can save you hours of work in case your kids break the system.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

For my use, most definitely, but not entirely. My Linux installation (not Linux Mint, but Ubuntu-based) is currently taking up around 5G, but my setup was meticulously set up with 'lightweight' in mind, and I have many other internal and external drives for non-OS stuff. Linux distributions don't typically inherently need much space, though. After a while, kernel updates (old kernel installations) and using TimeShift can eat up the space, but that's down to the user and/or distributor to address.

The main variable is what your kids want to do with the computer. If they want to install an army of games, then it'll be problematic, as one game (so-called 'AAA') can take up at least 100G. What I'd recommend is to have the 32G SSD and a large (at least 1T) HDD either external or alongside the internal SSD; this would allow them the best of both worlds. If it's not for games and primarily for things like Internet and school work with perhaps some simple 2D or light 3D games, then I think it'd be fine. There are plenty of small games out there, especially for younger kids.

So, in a nut-shell, it depends on how the computer will be used, as is almost always the answer to these sort of questions.

I concur with the suggestion of ensuring backups are maintained, although I would suggest CloneZilla over anything else, provided you're computer-savvy or willing to carefully learn. To be fair though, Linux is so quick and easy to install, these days, that a full install isn't too much hassle, provided you're happy with most of the defaults.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

It should be ok for everything other than /home and /timeshift. Luckily it's easy to partition that even after installation compared to windows.

You will just need to check up on what you install and remember to keep about 30% I think (opinions differ on this) of the SSD open (or even better unpartitioned to make sure) to not shorten it's lifetime. Assuming you are intending to use Steam for games it should obviously be set up if possible to use a separate HDD as the location of install library.

The problem with the above approach is I am guessing you are getting them cheap x86 netbooks or tablets or something? In that case you won't be able to partition as above most likely. What I have noticed though is a lot of the time these devices have support for TF cards which you can use as slow but reliable secondary storage, they just won't necessarily mount on startup but you can experiment. You might very well be able to mount both mentioned partitions unto such a card and reliably use it that way.

For Steam you could as mentioned just put the games library on any kind of external (though probably not flash drives).

I have a Windows x86 tablet myself I am using a 128GB TF card in for secondary storage, I tried to install LM to the card at first to test viability on the device but could never convince the thing to boot from it :lol:
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

secondary storage? How does one set up for that? I figure that I'll get them each an external ssd and have them plug it in. As for what it is they are old intel NUCs. They only has a celron processors but it is good enough to run oolite and that is good enough (I hope)! I know they won't be able to play modern games but that's life.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

The 32 GB internal storage will be fine. You can install Mint by using the 'Something else' option and make the 32 GB the / partition and the external SSD drive the /home partition.

I'm planning on doing something like this with my chromebook if I can't sell it by the time that it no longer receives updates.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can use the tool Disks to format the drive (recommended: ext4).
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Those things are also low RAM so it might be better to get external HDD's instead of SSD's and put /swap on them too instead of using the swap file. Swap on SSD's is faster but negatively affects lifetimes.

Clean installs would be easier but it's possible to move current /home to other drives and reclaim the space.

This is all assuming of course that the devices reliably pick up removables upon boot.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

Well they come with 2GB of RAM. I'm going to add 4 more GB so they'll have a total of 6GB each. That should be enough (I think).
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Unless money's not a concern or you require that speed, I would stick with external HDDs over external SSDs, simply because you get far more bang for your buck.

The way I'd set it up, and the way I used to set it up, is that I'd make '/home' the external (preferably internal) HDD, and the the rest ('/') would be on the internal SSD. It's easier that way, and works best for backups, because all of their '/home' stuff can super easily be backed up in one fell swoop, but more importantly, restored.

Failing that, the easier approach would be to install Linux as you normally do, plug in the external whatever-you-choose, then have them manually save files to that drive, and, if they're using Steam, they'll want to and probably should assign Steam's game location to that external drive.

6GB sounds like plenty, unless they'll be doing hardcore computer gaming. Linux is great for its RAM management.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

what do you all recommend for the external HDD? My dad got one and it last two years. I would want one that would live as long a internal HDDs.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

bmike1 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:38 am what do you all recommend for the external HDD? My dad got one and it last two years. I would want one that would live as long a internal HDDs.
One main reason, flash memory dies fast if you make them full or use them for a lot of writes..... even if the user has self control of steel (which children do not) it's not a good idea to have /home and /swap on such a small flash memory drive. A permanently attached SD card or something tends to be a practical solution if possible.

If external HDD's die that fast then either they were cheap short lasting models to begin with, they were moved while powered on or the chassis is the cheap kind with no ventilation and the HDD's would die from overheating or power problems.

Furthermore generally speaking 2.5" HDD's die faster than 3.5" HDD's (apparently mostly because of physics and thermodynamics) so there is that to look out for as well.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

thank you for that. So, do you have a recommendation?
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

also, I got a $27 external ssd. Why is that one going to have a short life?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I spent £20 on an old second-hand 120G SSD many years ago that to this day is still running strong, despite the many times I've abused it reinstalling Linux. I even had it back in my Windows days. I've also got HDDs which are at least two decades old yet somehow still work. My point is, that just because it's X price doesn't mean it'll last X years. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw, sometimes it's quality, but sometimes it's also how hard you hammer it and/or whether it's been damaged (IE: by heat). Sometimes you just get crap luck; a faulty drive from the batch. Shoot for the best quality you're comfortable getting, read reviews, do some research, do some tests when you get it, and otherwise cross your fingers.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

bmike1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 am also, I got a $27 external ssd. Why is that one going to have a short life?
Only if you keep writing to it and keep it full. It's a general rule that's all. As the above poster said sometimes you are lucky enough to get a drive that might even survive your lifespan, sometimes the damn things just die because they want to.

Modern SSD's are a LOT more sturdy than the first one's. Hell I remember when flash drives used to just randomly die.... and were about 16MB or 32MB if you had money for them.... 64MB now THAT was high end.

Return to “Installation & Boot”