Alfawise x5 box with Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andersond
Level 1
Level 1

Alfawise x5 box with Linux Mint

Post by andersond »

Hello, I am willing to install a Linux Mint os on my Alfawise X5 android box, there´s no much information about it around, so any advice will be appreciated.

I have a working Alfawise X5 running windows 10. I´ve plugged a 256gb pendrive on that internal USB port and I´m using it for personal files, including "My documents", "Downloads", "My IMages", etc.. default windows folders that I re-configured to be in the pendrive. I use this box as little "server" for torrent, dowloads, and I also have My 2TB backup HD plugged on it, so I can access it through the network

Anyway, the space on main disc of Alfawise X5 is very small and I´m no longer able to do automatic updates which caused some trouble sometimes. Besides this, it became very slow because the lack of space on main disc (even after deleting Android partitions and expanding the windows one). I already tried a "hacked" version of win10 called Windows 10 UltraLite, which is very small and fast, but I found problems for network and sharing (these things, in fact, does not exist on this specific version)

So I think on installing Linux on the box, I´ve already used Mint before and I like it. But I´ve seen older threads about missing linux drivers for audio, thinks like that, and now I see that grub instalation need a technical tricky that I did´nt "get" very well.

Would you guys elaborate on it for me? Is Mint small and fast enough for this box? How about new firmwares for X5, are there available versions around? Are all the linux drivers available? Did you find any other issues after installing the Mint? Would you give a step-by-step installation instructions including this grub-fixing trick?

I just don´t want to do all the work like partiotioning and instaling just to "die on the beach" afterwards

Any help will be apreciated. Regards!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”