linux mint broke my windows 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
don3100
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint broke my windows 7

Post by don3100 »

I had windows 7 on a toshiba laptop, I installed linux mint to dual boot. now when I try to boot into windows 7, it gives me 2 options: start windows normally, go to automatic repair (recommended)

if I start windows normally, it goes in the same loop and shows me those 2 options again
if I do automatic repair, it does its thing and it says restart your computer to check if the issue is fixed. but when i restart, it goes to those 2 options again, start normally or go to automatic repair (recommended)

i have been doing some research and it seems like this has something to do with mbr, gdpr, uefi? I am so confused by these terms, I don't understand them. linux mint should warn the user this could happen when the user tries to install dual boot. had I known this could happen, i would have left my windows 7 alone.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: linux mint broke my windows 7

Post by motoryzen »

I had windows 7 on a toshiba laptop, I installed linux mint to dual boot
That was your first mistake...dual booting windows and linux from the same physical drive

*reads your topic title* NOPE...Mint didn't do this...you did. Take responsibility for your choice/action

1. Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
" how to get help is a link. There's a valid reason this site's management created that section that is basically impossible to miss ( sigh..why does no one read this ..FIRST.. it's not complicated)

step 5 explains one way of how you can post your system info. If terminal isn't your thing. there's the gui way.

windows logo button on your keyboard, "system report" without quotes, click " system information" upper left area button, " copy " button towards bottom right, back here at this site.... </> button ( fifth from the left just above where you type your responses, hold ctrl ( bottom left key on 99% of keyboards in USA, and press v to paste, then click Submit

2. What exact selection or selections did you make when you were going through the Linux Mint installation wizard? " Something else" ? Or " install alone side windows" ?

3. going back to the top and what I personally would consider the most important caution-involved point. Even if you somehow did everything 100% perfect in setting up a dual boot with windows and Linux ( regardless of the linux distro and desktop) there is always the chance a Windows update can mess with the ability to boot the Linux installation or mess with other things in the Linux booted up desktop such as ethernet, wireless ethernet, the list goes on.

And yes...even if you disable tpm, secure boot, fast boot ( aka quick boot- both within Windows and your uefi/bios settings of that motherboard/that PC) it still doesn't guarantee preventing what I just explained a few lines above.

This is why I never recommend anyone dual booting windows and linux from within the same physical storage drive. Separate drives = happier lives = you keep your data and sanity in tact without dealing with a separate entire universe of possible problems.

Someone such as AndyMH, SMG, rene, all41 and many others here - though- should be able to help you narrow down the cause of the problem and hopefully get you back up and going.

= == mbr ( master boot record), gdpr ( General Data Protection Regulation - a European law involved deal involving privacy) , uefi ( Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - basically what is designed to be the replacement for old fashion B.I.O.S. aka Basic Input/Output System) -==
linux mint should warn the user this could happen when the user tries to install dual boot
*** No..it isn't Clem and his teams' jobs to warn you what could happen if you choose to dual boot and don't follow sensible directions ( which I'm not sure if you did..or didn't..so please do not take that as me saying that you didn't follow the correct dual boot setup directions until we get some more details from you and the more experience dual booters here have a chance to analyze those details and chime in ****

No one forced you to dual boot. YOU HAD, and still do, the option to get a separate drive to install Linux Mint into so its OWN boot loader ( grub) doesn't clash with Windows boot manager from the Windows drive what so ever ( which ...would have been a safe option)

Yes...I know...many laptops don't have multiple 2.5 inch storage drive bays and given the fact you said it's a Windows 7 toshiba laptop tells me I'm probably correct on that part. There's always an external 2.5" drive enclosure ;)

We need more details please.

Beyond that... two options come to my mind.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
don3100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by don3100 »

motoryzen wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:28 pm
I had windows 7 on a toshiba laptop, I installed linux mint to dual boot
That was your first mistake...dual booting windows and linux from the same physical drive

*reads your topic title* NOPE...Mint didn't do this...you did. Take responsibility for your choice/action

1. Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
" how to get help is a link. There's a valid reason this site's management created that section that is basically impossible to miss ( sigh..why does no one read this ..FIRST.. it's not complicated)

step 5 explains one way of how you can post your system info. If terminal isn't your thing. there's the gui way.

windows logo button on your keyboard, "system report" without quotes, click " system information" upper left area button, " copy " button towards bottom right, back here at this site.... </> button ( fifth from the left just above where you type your responses, hold ctrl ( bottom left key on 99% of keyboards in USA, and press v to paste, then click Submit

2. What exact selection or selections did you make when you were going through the Linux Mint installation wizard? " Something else" ? Or " install alone side windows" ?

3. going back to the top and what I personally would consider the most important caution-involved point. Even if you somehow did everything 100% perfect in setting up a dual boot with windows and Linux ( regardless of the linux distro and desktop) there is always the chance a Windows update can mess with the ability to boot the Linux installation or mess with other things in the Linux booted up desktop such as ethernet, wireless ethernet, the list goes on.

And yes...even if you disable tpm, secure boot, fast boot ( aka quick boot- both within Windows and your uefi/bios settings of that motherboard/that PC) it still doesn't guarantee preventing what I just explained a few lines above.

This is why I never recommend anyone dual booting windows and linux from within the same physical storage drive. Separate drives = happier lives = you keep your data and sanity in tact without dealing with a separate entire universe of possible problems.

Someone such as AndyMH, SMG, rene, all41 and many others here - though- should be able to help you narrow down the cause of the problem and hopefully get you back up and going.

= == mbr ( master boot record), gdpr ( General Data Protection Regulation - a European law involved deal involving privacy) , uefi ( Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - basically what is designed to be the replacement for old fashion B.I.O.S. aka Basic Input/Output System) -==
linux mint should warn the user this could happen when the user tries to install dual boot
*** No..it isn't Clem and his teams' jobs to warn you what could happen if you choose to dual boot and don't follow sensible directions ( which I'm not sure if you did..or didn't..so please do not take that as me saying that you didn't follow the correct dual boot setup directions until we get some more details from you and the more experience dual booters here have a chance to analyze those details and chime in ****

No one forced you to dual boot. YOU HAD, and still do, the option to get a separate drive to install Linux Mint into so its OWN boot loader ( grub) doesn't clash with Windows boot manager from the Windows drive what so ever ( which ...would have been a safe option)

Yes...I know...many laptops don't have multiple 2.5 inch storage drive bays and given the fact you said it's a Windows 7 toshiba laptop tells me I'm probably correct on that part. There's always an external 2.5" drive enclosure ;)

We need more details please.

Beyond that... two options come to my mind.
hello,
I understand I came off self-entitled, but I can assure you I am not one of those people
linux has provided me with a free operating system, they owe me nothing
my laptop is a toshiba laptop with 32bit windows 7, my linux mint is 64 bit
I don't want to provide more info about my system because that would make me more unique and identifiable (not that I am doing anything illegal but I am one of those crazy privacy freaks)
I installed it by inserting a bootable usb and selecting "install linux alongside windows"
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

Your Windows 7 is still there; I suspect that GRUB in the mbr is getting in the way, and will always trigger the Self-repair cycle or loop. Windows will not quit until it recognizes its own boot loader in there, like anything but grub. I will let more experienced people work with you at this point, because I only run live sessions off the stick. That, and a mounted drive for storage, is a setup that works for me. That is the short version of Confessions of a distro hopper
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Neither the gui instructions nor any of the inxi -blahblah commands will reveal any personally identifiable info..never has

This is precisely the problem that some Linux veterans mention when they retort against Windows fans who refuse to be open minded enough to want to learn something yet expect Linux to work just like windows, encounter a problem/dead end, complain about it causing a problem with their windwos , and then refuse to provide relevant info

Again..

Forum Rules... " how to get help" step 5. What was the point of asking for help, if you're not even willing to help yourself?

We can't read your mind. -_-
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

motoryzen wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:28 pm That was your first mistake...dual booting windows and linux from the same physical drive
Nah. I've made that same 'mistake' and it never gave me any trouble.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

don3100 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:55 pm I had windows 7 on a toshiba laptop, I installed linux mint to dual boot. now when I try to boot into windows 7, it gives me 2 options: start windows normally, go to automatic repair (recommended)

if I start windows normally, it goes in the same loop and shows me those 2 options again
if I do automatic repair, it does its thing and it says restart your computer to check if the issue is fixed. but when i restart, it goes to those 2 options again, start normally or go to automatic repair (recommended)

i have been doing some research and it seems like this has something to do with mbr, gdpr, uefi? I am so confused by these terms, I don't understand them. linux mint should warn the user this could happen when the user tries to install dual boot. had I known this could happen, i would have left my windows 7 alone.
@don3100

I'm pretty sure the fault is entirely yours, so...
Don't blame Linux Mint. Lots of people dual boot with Window$ with no problems whatsoever.
It is always wise to do some research before installing, and there is plenty of help available. Tutorials for beginners and such.
My guess is that your computer knowledge is very limited, and you just went with the default option, install alongside Window$ when you installed Linux Mint. That option can sometimes cause problems.

The correct way is to free up space on your drive from inside Window$ (shrink volume). Leave it empty, do not format under Window$
Boot into the Linux Mint installer live USB. Open Gparted and create 2 partitions.
One 512 MiB FAT32 with the Boot and ESP flags enabled
One EXT4 type for the remainder of empty space on the disk
Apply, save, close and exit Gparted.
Launch the Linux Mint installer and choose the "Something else" install option.
Look for the small 512 MiB FAT32 partition and make sure it is marked to be used as EFI/boot
Look for the larger EXT4 partition, choose use as EXT4 and choose the ROOT mountpoint (the / symbol)
Last but not least, choose to have the bootfiles installed onto the partition EFI, not onto the root of the drive
Example: on sda3 not the root of the drive sda. Now your drive and/or partition designation may vary from my example. It can be for instance sda5, or if you have an M.2 drive, it can be nvme0n1p3 or nvme0n1p5, in which case you choose accordingly. Partition and drive designation appear in the "Something else" install option. They are listed in order underneath the drive diagram.
Once all of the above is done, you can start the installation. Ignore the warnings that might popup, and just proceed further with the installation.

When you're done, you will have a dual boot in which the boot files from Window$ are in the root of the drive, as usual, while the Linux Mint boot files are on that designated partition, as explained above. This scenario almost eliminates any risk of future problems with either OS.

Good luck.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

@don3100
I don't want to provide more info about my system because that would make me more unique and identifiable (not that I am doing anything illegal but I am one of those crazy privacy freaks)
I installed it by inserting a bootable usb and selecting "install linux alongside windows"
While I respect your right for privacy, I can't help myself from laughing. :lol: :D :lol:
Just how exactly will technical info about your system reveal hidden details about your identity or other personal stuff???

Back to the problem...
As I said in my previous comment, your first mistake was choosing the "Install Linux alongside Windows" option...
Since you're all hush-hush about more details which could help us help you, God knows how many more mistakes you made.
But hey, blame it on Linux Mint, for not having idiot-proof warnings...
don3100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by don3100 »

Doruletz wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:29 pm While I respect your right for privacy, I can't help myself from laughing. :lol: :D :lol:
Just how exactly will technical info about your system reveal hidden details about your identity or other personal stuff???

Back to the problem...
As I said in my previous comment, your first mistake was choosing the "Install Linux alongside Windows" option...
Since you're all hush-hush about more details which could help us help you, God knows how many more mistakes you made.
But hey, blame it on Linux Mint, for not having idiot-proof warnings...
I will give you one scenario. imagine I post my system specs here, and someone here works for google. they go and search all gmails that have linux mint (gmail can detect your operating system, along with a bunch of other stuff). there aren't that many people using linux mint in the world. out of those, only a smaller group have my exact toshiba model number. out of those, only a smaller group have my exact screen resolution. my gmail has my real name. so this way, I am identified. and yes, you are not the first person to tell me I am crazy.
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

don3100 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:11 pm I will give you one scenario. imagine I post my system specs here, and someone here works for google. they go and search all gmails that have linux mint (gmail can detect your operating system, along with a bunch of other stuff). there aren't that many people using linux mint in the world. out of those, only a smaller group have my exact toshiba model number. out of those, only a smaller group have my exact screen resolution. my gmail has my real name. so this way, I am identified. and yes, you are not the first person to tell me I am crazy.
@don3100

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Bless your heart, I really needed a good laugh. Thank you for that.

Even if your doomsday scenario were to be real, it raises a simple question:
Once they choose to target you, out of all the billions of people on this planet using their services, Google will do exactly what to you???
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

my gmail has my real name.
*facepalms*. Why? :? Just create a new gmail address and don't use your real name nor any personally identifiable way for people to figure out who you are.

And look. If you've been even on youtube posting comments..I guarantee you that google already knows who you are, let alone facebook, twitter, instaglam, or tik tok.

Seriously..if you're that worried about privacy, you might as well just stay off line period. But on a sincere note, we're all volunteers here and do the best we can to help each other without trying to make it be a toxic environment. But the point still stands,

The entire point of this site's management creating those forum rules is to save...EVERYONE ( not just you) time wasting guessing.

Did you " name" your Linux PC your real name also? If so..no big deal..Just plug ...

inxi -Fxxxmprz

into your terminal, see the results? you can always paste those results into whatever gui text editor and change every part that has your real name for some made up name, then paste THAT here. That's what I do.

Knowing what hardware you run DOES NOT..mean someone knows your underwear size and blood type. So either get over it and follow forum rules, or you'll end up trying to figure this out on your own. I'm not trying to sound rude here, but facts are facts. We can't read your mind, and if we have no clue what all hardware you're dealing with under the hood AND HOW Linux Mint sees and deals with that hardware...how do you expect us to help you?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
MikeNovember
Level 7