OpenZFS disk mounted as device

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pangaea
Level 2
Level 2

OpenZFS disk mounted as device

Post by Pangaea »

Have been playing around with an old 320GB disk after learning about the ZFS file system, and got it successfully installed, if that is the right word. Have created some datasets and copied some data over, to see what the compression ratio was on different types of data. However, I wanted to have this disk mounted under "Devices" in Nemo, like my other disks, instead of "hidden" away under /mnt. Did manage to get that working via the Disks program. However, the size is all wrong, and it shows up as empty. Any idea how I could fix this? Is there a better way to handle this?

The real size of the harddisk is slightly under 300GiB, and I've copied over 29GiB (before compression). However, when I right-click on the device in Nemo and click Properties, it shows up as empty with a size of only ~265GiB. Why is that, and how can it be fixed?

I have ordered 2x 6TB WD NAS disks I plan to set up as a mirror, and would therefore like to get this working properly. In a mirror I can take proper advantage of the great features of ZFS, such as error correction. I am using Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon, and installed zfs with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install zfsutils-linux
If I need to install more than that, please tell me.
Attachments
Zpool properties.png
zfs overview.png
Last edited by LockBot on Tue May 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pangaea
Level 2
Level 2

Re: OpenZFS disk mounted as device

Post by Pangaea »

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a solution to the size issue in Nemo (or df in Terminal). I tried to mount under /media instead, because I read automounting works then. It did, but it also automounted all the datasets, which isn't something I want because it clutters up things when you have a few. Tried to set mountpoint to "none" for a dataset. That removed it from the "Devices" list in Nemo, but also removed it from the pool itself there, so I couldn't actually access it.

Therefore I landed on putting them all under /mnt and manually mounting via custom settings in "Disks". Have received and set up the 2x 6TB disks with a ZFS file system, and copied over some data, and now also run a "scrub". Everything seems to be working well. Apart from the size issue in Nemo. WIll just have to live with that, until they possibly fix it in Nemo itself. I saw some issues about it on github, but with no traction at all, so that won't happen anytime soon.

Looks like a very solid system though, and since I've set it up mirrored, it's easy to expand. Attach two more disks down the road, and capacity expands. Less storage efficient than a RAIDZ setup, but mirror is faster and actually possible to expand. If others should be interested in trying out this, here is an excellent article about it: https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... rformance/

Sadly I got zero compression from the GOG library of games I moved over and updated with downloads, but hopefully the LZ4 compression will help with some other filetypes. In any case, it's pretty cool to have compression on the file system level itself.
Attachments
Nemo devices.png
ZFS overview list.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: OpenZFS disk mounted as device

Post by mikeflan »

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a solution to the size issue in Nemo (or df in Terminal).
I think you are right. I guess this is a bug:
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/2561

Thanks for posting all that great information.

Return to “Storage”