Update BIOS or Install OS first?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Update BIOS or Install OS first?

Post by shawnhcorey »

I'm building myself a new PC and I was wondering if the first thing I should do once it's assembled is to update the BIOS or install Linux Mint? The motherboard has a USB port on it that can be used to update the BIOS without having to boot an OS. So which would be better?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don't stop where the ink does.
twerq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Update BIOS or Install OS first?

Post by twerq »

I would suggest leaving the bios alone until there is a real need to update it
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can update the BIOS knowing that if something goes wrong ,your machine may be bricked.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

twerq wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 am I would suggest leaving the bios alone until there is a real need to update it
I'm also a firm believer in 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

I beg to differ. It is generally good idea to have the latest BIOS version.
Especially since you build a new pc.
And most manufacturers have made it easy to update.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

MiZoG wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:19 pm I beg to differ. It is generally good idea to have the latest BIOS version.
Especially since you build a new pc.
And most manufacturers have made it easy to update.
I agree. Best practice is to get the latest bug fixes and security patches.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Update the BIOS first. Your motherboard is brand new, so if something would go wrong, you can get it replaced for free under the warranty....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Pjotr made a good middle man point here.

It's one thing if you're dealing with a stupid proprietary Dell laptop bios ( like my Dell Inspiron 15 3525 with a ryzen apu which requires I use Winturd to run the bios.exe updater files to update the bios = ueack ), then I'd say...just install the OS.

The chances that in order to get an OS installed and even sometimes working properly requiring a bios update are still not very often or high even these days. Usually that's just for a specific feature OR if the cpu and mobo gen are basically brand new

The problem is... shawnhcorey you've given no system details/hardware specs about the system you're making this fork-in the road -choice about. So it's alittle difficult to make the correct/safe recommendation involving a bios update.

That basically impossible- to -miss pink section. " how to get help link..step 5 talks about how to post system info..BUT if you haven't installed Linux Mint yet, then you can still provide some relevant details

Desktop ? Prebuilt or Custom built? Or is it a laptop?

If desktop....
motherboard brand, model with chipset you either have or are considering buying.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

I always do a BIOS update first. But check the Changlog of the update before what was "fixed".

We have exclusively HP workstations and I have never had problems with the BIOS update and the updates have always made sense.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

pixel24 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am I always do a BIOS update first. But check the Changlog of the update before what was "fixed".

We have exclusively HP workstations and I have never had problems with the BIOS update and the updates have always made sense.
Until recently my experience was identical. However, some time ago I bricked a Lenovo laptop with a BIOS update (done in Windows 11, with Lenovo's own tool for that kind of thing).

Thankfully the warranty was still valid, so Lenovo replaced the motherboard for free. But it was a bit of a shock, as you can imagine. :mrgreen:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:00 am
pixel24 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am I always do a BIOS update first. But check the Changlog of the update before what was "fixed".

Until recently my experience was identical. However, some time ago I bricked a Lenovo laptop with a BIOS update (done in Windows 11, with Lenovo's own tool for that kind of thing).

Thankfully the warranty was still valid, so Lenovo replaced the motherboard for free. But it was a bit of a shock, as you can imagine. :mrgreen:
I wonder what could have gone wrong. They may not have replaced it if Lenovo knew a BIOS upgrade was attempted.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:12 am I wonder what could have gone wrong. They may not have replaced it if Lenovo knew a BIOS upgrade was attempted.
Well, I told them what I did, and they were OK with it.... Because I did the BIOS update completely in accordance with the recommended procedure.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Very strange indeed that Lenovo has given instructions which bricked their MB. I suspect many thousands of motherboards must have been destroyed.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Installation & Boot”