Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
XE1UFO
Level 1
Level 1

RE: UPGRADING FROM UBUNTU STUDIO 9.10 TO MINT

Post by XE1UFO »

Dear Friends,

I have been running various flavors of Linux on many of my machines for a long while. Started with Mandrake 7.0, then RedHat 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0. Then Suse 8.2, 9.0 and 10. Then several Fedoras. But I have settled on Ubuntu now for several years.

I have a desktop Linux box that I currently have Ubuntu Studio 9.10 on, and want to switch it over to Linux Mint. Is it possible to do this without reformattting the machine? It is NOT dual boot: Strictly Ubuntu. I am looking at this change, as this will become my dear wife's desktop machine, and she is not big on the technical side of things. She just wants a good stable system for word processing and E-Mail.

Thanks in advance! :)

Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Re: RE: UPGRADING FROM UBUNTU STUDIO 9.10 TO MINT

Post by rich_roast »

XE1UFO wrote:Dear Friends,

I have a desktop Linux box that I currently have Ubuntu Studio 9.10 on, and want to switch it over to Linux Mint. Is it possible to do this without reformattting the machine? It is NOT dual boot: Strictly Ubuntu.
Without wanting to rule an "upgrade" out, I'd suggest that installing fresh (i.e. overwriting Ubuntu) is the way to go here, assuming that you don't want to dual boot between Mint and Ubuntu. If you have your /home on a separate partition this won't be a problem, if you don't then naturally it will need to be backed up first.

Point is that enough people have problems upgrading from one version to the next of Mint, never mind an actual dist-updgrade across distros. I suspect that someone who was an expert could achieve it but it would be difficult and treacherous.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum! Ubuntu Studio and Mint both use the exact same base. It would be easier to save off any data and do a fresh install of Mint. You could add the Mint repos and install all of the Mint related applications but in the end a fresh install is going to take a lot less time and effort.
XE1UFO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XE1UFO »

Wow! You guys were fast! Thanks! :)

So I guess I will set aside some time to make a fresh install.

Have a blessed 2010! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”