[SOLVED] Best (cleanest) way to remove Windows from dualboot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Best (cleanest) way to remove Windows from dualboot

Post by CarrotCake »

Hi all,

I am currently using a Lenovo laptop with a dual boot installation (Mint 21 and MS Windows).
I have been using Mint for a few weeks now and I have not booted Windows one single time as I just haven´t had anything that made me need it.

So, I think Iḿ ready to remove the dual boot... both from the drive as from the Grub menu, when possible.

My installations are on the same physical disk, and according to GParted this is the way the disk is partitioned:

/dev/nvme0n1p1 >> EFI system partition >> fat32 >> mount point /boot/efi >> 260 MiB size, 42 MiB used, 218 MiB free >> flags boot, esp
/dev/nvme0n1p2 >> Microsoft reserved partition >> unknown file system >> mount point empty >> 16 MiB size, 0 MiB used, 16 MiB free >> flag msftrs
/dev/nvme0n1p3 >> Basic data partition >> ntfs >> mount point /media/.../Windows-SSD >> 224 GiB size, 92 GiB used, 132 GiB free >> flag msftdata
/dev/nvme0n1p4 >> (empty name) >> ext4 >> mount point / >> 252 GiB size, 53 GiB used, 199 MiB free >> flag none
/dev/nvme0n1p5 >> Basic data partition >> ntfs >> mount point empty >> 1000 MiB size, 634 MiB used, 366 MiB free >> flags hidden, diag

Now I _THINK_ I can safely remove the partitions nvme0n1p2 (MS), nvme0n1p3 (Windows) and nvme0n1p5 (recovery).
Am I right?

And if so, how to then remove Windows from GRUB menu?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Best (cleanest) way to remove Windows from dualboot

Post by AndyMH »

Yes. Once you have deleted the partitions you need to go into the EFI partition (mounting at /boot/efi) and delete the windows folder. Then do a sudo update-grub. Next time you boot it should boot directly into mint with no grub menu. You can then resize your / partition to use all the drive, you need to boot from your install stick and run gparted from that. You can't change a mounted partition and you can't unmount / booting normally. Make sure you have a backup first.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Right, that does seem logical and doable.
Could I technically remove the Microsoft entry in grub first, using your way, to see if it works before I remove the big partition?

And another question, gparted wasn't installed in Mint by default, so I assume it isn't in the live version either - can I then still install it?

Backup, always :) but thanks for the reminder!
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

You can surely delete windows partitions with the pre-installed "Disks" utility which under the hood uses parted as well.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

CarrotCake wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 pm And another question, gparted wasn't installed in Mint by default, so I assume it isn't in the live version either - can I then still install it?
It is in the live version.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Yes you can remove Windows loader first booting Mint installed as indicated by AndyMH, just running

Code: Select all

sudo rm -R /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft
sudo update grub
Notice you will need to remove Windows partitions, create new ones and/or resize Linux Mint partition booting Linux Mint Live USB, from Linux Live session.

Also you would be able to remove Windows loader from that Live session

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1  /mnt
sudo rm -R /mnt/EFI/Microsoft
sudo umount /mnt
Then boot Mint installed and run sudo update-grub-
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Guys thanks!
This all worked like a charm.

First backupped the Microsoft folder in /boot/efi, then deleted it, updated grub and rebooted. That worked for removing the item in the grub menu.
Second I deleted the partition in Disks and rebooted. Again all ok, free space on the disk.
Third again rebooted but to the live USB, ran Disks and resized the / partition to span the free space.

One last reboot and all ok and done.
I've learnt again something about Linux.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Carrotcake. that's great you were able to accomplish that and everything with your LM installation is ready to rock. Sometimes dealing with partitioning can be a very strange headache.

Please mark your original post in the Subject line with " (( solved)) to let everyone know you no longer required help with this. Cheers :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Best (cleanest) way to remove Windows from dualboot

Post by CarrotCake »

@motoryzen
Done and thanks.
Years ago I did do partitioning as well but that was before EFI boot partitions existed... So this was new to me. But it is logical once you know it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”