[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint on MacBook Pro (2015) - Installation process freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint on MacBook Pro (2015) - Installation process freezes

Post by carlamint+3 »

Hi Everyone!!

I tried to install Linux Mint 21.3 on a MacBook Pro (2015) using a bootable USB stick. My intention is to wipe MACOSX out and install Linux ('Erase disk and install Linux Mint' option). I booted the laptop using the USB stick and Linux loaded perfectly and everything worked flawlessly (including the network connections).

The problem is on the installation. The installation app opens up and I can go screen after screen to select the language, the keyboard, connect to wi-fi, but once it gets to the 'Install media codecs' and press 'Continue', the process stops and the computer starts making a lot of noise. The system freezes, so I need to shut down the laptop manually. Please note that I tried it both ways: by selecting and deselecting the media codecs option to install, and the outcome was the same: after clicking on 'Continue' on the 'Install media codecs' screen, the processor/fans eventually go crazy and the system freezes.

I have no idea why this is happening. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Things I tried so far (based on online research of people facing the same/similar problem):
(1) downloading the ISO image again and creating another bootable USB
(2) trying another flavour of Mint (Mate), but the intallation process froze on the same screen
(3) trying Mint Cinnamon Edge edition 20.3 because 'if you cannot boot or install Linux Mint because your hardware is too recent and is not properly detected look for an “Edge” ISO image' [...] This image ships with newer components to be able to support the most modern hardware chipsets and devices'. It did not work; same issue.
(4) trying another distribution (MX Linux)
(5) creating the Linux partition (exFat, MS-DOS FAT, MACOS extended) first on MacOS (Disk Utility) and then format as Ext4 with GParted on the bootable USB before installation
(6) booting in 'Compatibility mode'
(7) replacing 'quiet splash' with 'nomodeset' or 'nouveau.noaccel=1' or 'noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll' on EFI mode (following Linux Mint instructions) before booting up in 'Compatility mode'
(8) disabling System Integrity Protection and Firmware Password Protection on MacOS. Firmware Password Protection on MacOS Monterrey only allows you to disable that option; it does not come with Secure Boot (full, medium, no security) nor with External Booting options (allow/disallow booting from external media)
(9) removing 'ubiquity-slideshow-mint' from Synaptic Package Manager before installation
(10) format (FAT, exFAT) the bootable USB to remove potential bad sectors, and using different ports to boot up the USB
(11) typing 'ps -aux' on the terminal before installation to find 'grub-mount binary' and kill the process ID, but it was not on the list

I also tried the installation process on other computers running Linux and Windows, and the installation proceess went ahead and did not freeze, which makes me think that either Apple blocks the process or I I have been doing something wrong all the time. Many people installed Linux Mint on a MacBook without issues.

This is quite annoying and I am sorry to have to ask you for help because your time is priceless and you may also have your own issues, but I don't really know how to sort this out. I appreciate all your help. Many thanks and Happy New Linux Year!!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Installing Linux Mint on MacBook Pro (2015) - Installation process freezes

Post by kc1di »

this page may be of help (it's written for Ubuntu but should work for Mint as well.)
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-l ... cbook-pro/

On thing you may have to be concerned about is if it has Nvidia graphic some Mac do. They you may have to do some work to get it going.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Hi, kc1di. Thanks for your reply and the link, but that article does not address my issue (or any issue at all). The laptop does not have an NVidia card. It comes with an Intel Pro Iris card.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I've installed on a 2015 mac and I never had that problem, but I did dual-boot because that system is still in apple support--I shrank the APFS partition to 50GB using the apple disk utility. I would suggest that you determine if it is a Mint problem or something else. First, if you insist on using Mint, try version 20.2 (if you are using version 21). All my relatively recent installs have been with Mint 20.2, so I cannot vouch for 21. Mint 20.x is supported into 2025.

Second, while the wifi will work with the live usb, the wifi will not work once the system is installed. This is a 'free software' thing, and some distributions, all ubuntu based and arch based that I've tested, will not install non-free software to the hd without user intervention. It sucks if you are installing on an apple. If you have the Apple thunderbolt to ethernet adapter you can connect that way, I think, and install the Broadcom driver (wl). If you don't, you will have to tether an Android device (an iphone will not tether to linux) to use the Driver Manager to install the wifi driver. Or, if you have a linux-compatible usb to ethernet port adapter (Mine is TP Link) you can install the driver that way, but you will either need tethering or you will need a hard-wired ethernet connection. That's the bad news. The good news is that all the hardware, including the webcam, will work with linux.

Or, you can use MX linux, which will install the correct wl wifi driver when you install the system to hard disk.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Hi Reddog,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't really want to use MacOS so dual booting is not an option for me. That's why I install Linux.

I have tried several things: booting up and try to install in Compatibility Mode, 'nomodeset' after splash, creating a new bootable USB, deselecting the 'third-party sofware' option, not connecting to wi-fi on the installation process... I also try to install MATE first and the system freezed again on the same screen, which makes me think either Apple prevents me from installing 'other' software or it is a problem with the Mint installation software. No idea.

Thanks.
Pinokkio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pinokkio »

just guessing==> something to do with SIP ?
Did you disable it ?
In Mac os :

Code: Select all

Restart your computer in Recovery mode.
Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
Run the command csrutil disable.
Restart your computer.
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

Same reaction as above (use the Network Recovery mode if you have no thumbdrive with a valid Mac OS installer on it).
Then, I'd re-partition and create the GPT partition table manually with Gparted on the Live USB, before launching the installer.
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Try Mint 20.2. If that doesn't work, try a different distribution. Trying a different distribution will indicate whether it is a Mint problem or an Apple problem. I suggest MX linux because it has always just worked for me, on Apples from 2009 to 2015. That would be macbook, macbook pro, macbook pro retina, macbook air and mac mini. I usually use Mint 20.2, anyway.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Pinokkio wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:01 am just guessing==> something to do with SIP ?
Did you disable it ?
In Mac os :

Code: Select all

Restart your computer in Recovery mode.
Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
Run the command csrutil disable.
Restart your computer.
Thank you very much, Pinokkio. Unfortunately, it did not work. The installation process stops on the 'Install media codecs' screen. I have posted an update of what I have tried so far just to rule out those options. Thanks and Happy New Year.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

mcroger wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:20 pm Same reaction as above (use the Network Recovery mode if you have no thumbdrive with a valid Mac OS installer on it).
Then, I'd re-partition and create the GPT partition table manually with Gparted on the Live USB, before launching the installer.
HI mcroger. Thanks for your suggestion. I cannot see how creating a partition for Linux on MacOS before the installation would make any difference. Once I would boot up, the installation process would freeze again on the same screen. Actually, it never reached the screen to select erasing the disk or on a partition.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Pinokkio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pinokkio »

Maybe connect ethernet cable and accepting all the preselections
Then later install your language ,keyboard,codecs and what have you .
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Thanks again, Pinokkio. The laptop was connected to ethernet and the wi-fi was also working without any problem. It seems to me that the source of the problem might be with Apple, not Mint or the laptop itself. Perhaps disabling something somewhere or changing some settings that may block the installation. I asked Santa for a solution, but she/he did not even come down through the chimney to leave something.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Reddog1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 pm Try Mint 20.2. If that doesn't work, try a different distribution. Trying a different distribution will indicate whether it is a Mint problem or an Apple problem. I suggest MX linux because it has always just worked for me, on Apples from 2009 to 2015. That would be macbook, macbook pro, macbook pro retina, macbook air and mac mini. I usually use Mint 20.2, anyway.
Thanks, Reddog. That's my next step. I will try an older version and another distribution if the problem persists. Do you think that I will be able to install Linux Mint 21.1 if I manage to install 20.2 or 21 first?

Did you have to change any settings before the installation in order to get MX Linux running on your mac laptops?

Thanks. Happy New Linux Year!!
Pulegium
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pulegium »

carlamint+3 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 am
mcroger wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:20 pm Same reaction as above (use the Network Recovery mode if you have no thumbdrive with a valid Mac OS installer on it).
HI mcroger. Thanks for your suggestion. I cannot see how creating a partition for Linux on MacOS before the installation would make any difference. Once I would boot up, the installation process would freeze again on the same screen. Actually, it never reached the screen to select erasing the disk or on a partition.

Me neither .. but I've found on a number of occasions that it actually does make a difference . Pre-partitioning via MacOS or Recovery mode or pre-partitioning with Gparted on the Live USB . Might be worth a try .
I like Reddog's MX suggestion too . Some months ago I attempted to install Mint 20 on a 2007 iMac . For some reason the iMac resolutely refused to acknowledge the very existence of the Mint installer . Too lazy to figure out why , I just installed 32bit antiX . The iMac then recognised the Mint installer so I then successfully installed 64bit Mint 20 .
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Pulegium wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm
carlamint+3 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 am

Me neither .. but I've found on a number of occasions that it actually does make a difference . Pre-partitioning via MacOS or Recovery mode or pre-partitioning with Gparted on the Live USB . Might be worth a try .
I like Reddog's MX suggestion too . Some months ago I attempted to install Mint 20 on a 2007 iMac . For some reason the iMac resolutely refused to acknowledge the very existence of the Mint installer . Too lazy to figure out why , I just installed 32bit antiX . The iMac then recognised the Mint installer so I then successfully installed 64bit Mint 20 .
OK. I will give it a try. Following Reddog's suggestion, I did not try another distribution but I tried Linux Mint 21 and the same issue. Just one doubt: if I partition either on MacOS or on the Live USB and the installation goes ahead, do you think that I can then 'erase disk and install only Mint'?
Thanks for your help. Appreciated.
Pulegium
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pulegium »

if I partition either on MacOS or on the Live USB and the installation goes ahead, do you think that I can then 'erase disk and install only Mint'?
Yes , I don't see why not .

Personally I would try installing MX or antiX first ( they are closely related distros ) . It might just be quicker and give you more insightful results than the partitioning and act as a " steppingstone " to installing Mint .
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Pulegium wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:35 pm
if I partition either on MacOS or on the Live USB and the installation goes ahead, do you think that I can then 'erase disk and install only Mint'?
Yes , I don't see why not .

Personally I would try installing MX or antiX first ( they are closely related distros ) . It might just be quicker and give you more insightful results than the partitioning and act as a " steppingstone " to installing Mint .
Thank you, Pulegium. I will try partitioning and install Linux Mint. If that does not work, I will use MX Linux as a 'steppingstone'. The paths to happiness are infinite, I guess.

Fortunately, it is a second hand MacBook in very good condition that I acquired for a good price. If I had bought a brand new one and I could not install what I wanted, I would bumping my head against the wall all day.
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Please see updates on the first post. Thanks for all your help. We will do it (I just don't know when).
Last edited by carlamint+3 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

You said you tried an 'older' version of Mint, and from your comments, that was Mint 21. I'm again going to suggest Mint 20.2, and if that doesn't work use a not-ubuntu based distribution, such as MX linux (debian).

I've installed on a bunch of macs and I've had some problems but managed to work through all of them and got a working linux install. Every mac install is an adventure. Most of the computers in my house are macs, and all but one of them run linux, and that one has a linux virtual machine running in virtualbox. What I'm hinting at, is there is something unusual going on here.

Just so you know, the wifi driver you are using with the live usb is NOT the CORRECT wifi for the apple Broadcom card. The correct driver is the "wl" driver. I've never had the mint live usb wifi fail over, even though the driver it uses isn't the exact one for the Apple wifi chip, but it is something to think about. MX linux will install the correct driver (it's a proprietary driver, and ubuntu-based distros will not install it, as a matter of 'free software' philosophy).
carlamint+3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlamint+3 »

Please see updates above on the first post. Thanks for all your help. We will do it (I just don't know when).
Last edited by carlamint+3 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”