"SGX disabled in bios" use "nosgx" as a boot option

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob_22
Level 1
Level 1

"SGX disabled in bios" use "nosgx" as a boot option

Post by bob_22 »

When my computer first boots I get that "SGX disabled in bios" error. I did some reading and SGX not necessary. So how do I add "nogfx" option as a boot option? I saw that adding this command will stop that error from popping up at boot. I am not sure of the correct syntax either. So if anyone can help me with this it would be great!
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: "SGX disabled in bios" use "nosgx" as a boot option

Post by MiZoG »

- Paste in a terminal xed admin:///etc/default/grub

- edit this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" <-- This is an example. There may be different "arguments" there in your case.
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosgx splash"
save

- Update grub configuration
sudo update-grub

- Reboot your system
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bob_22 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:24 pm When my computer first boots I get that "SGX disabled in bios" error. I did some reading and SGX not necessary.
That is not an error message. It is an informational message to let you know SGX is disabled (SGX is not being used).

You can add the nosgx kernel parameter to remove the message, but it will not change the functionality of SGX because SGX is not being used anyhow.

You can use the following information How to add a kernel parameter to temporarily or permanently add the parameter.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
PaganDegree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PaganDegree »

Found another solution that works great if you set your SGX setting to Software Controlled:
https://github.com/intel/sgx-software-enable

Return to “Installation & Boot”