File Transfer

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CygXanadu
Level 3
Level 3

File Transfer

Post by CygXanadu »

I want to install NitroShare I went through all the videos on how to install a tar.gz file nothing is percise or it deals with XZY type format. Can someone please tell me or show me the proper way to install a tar.gz file NitroShare, make a Youtube video or something. NitroShare was listed in 20.3 it's no longer listed in the software packages in 21.1

I download videos then transfer I then to my Windows 10 PC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: File Transfer

Post by Termy »

There is no single set of instructions to install a '*.tar.gz' file, because that file is just an archive compressed with a given compression format (GZip). It could contain a precompiled binary or the source files themselves. It's likely the latter, in which case you'll need to follow the instructions given you to by the developer(s) or page from which you downloaded it. Ensure you have the dependencies and ensure you're compiling it on the correct system. Compiling software is not something the average user should need to be doing, however.

The latest instructions for compilation appear to be here. Luckily, it appears to be one of the simpler methods. I'll be blunt though, if you couldn't find these instructions, it's a sign you probably shouldn't be trying to compile software, in the same way you probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle if you cannot make quick decisions.

When I first started with Linux, I fell into what I can only assume is the same trap you've fallen into. I was certain I had to compile a specific piece of software in Linux that I was used to having in Windows. I was green at the time, so I had no clue what I was doing. I ended up making a mess and wasting my time. Later, I was frustrated and amused to find that there was already a piece of software which did the same thing as the one I was trying to compile! I learned then not to obsess over using the precise same software. At the end of the day, Linux is not Windows. Now that I've gained experience and knowledge, I compile all sorts, even the kernel itself. Walk first, run later.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Termy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 am

When I first started with Linux, I fell into what I can only assume is the same trap you've fallen into. I was certain I had to compile a specific piece of software in Linux that I was used to having in Windows. I was green at the time, so I had no clue what I was doing. I ended up making a mess and wasting my time. Later, I was frustrated and amused to find that there was already a piece of software which did the same thing as the one I was trying to compile! I learned then not to obsess over using the precise same software. At the end of the day, Linux is not Windows. Now that I've gained experience and knowledge, I compile all sorts, even the kernel itself. Walk first, run later.
+1
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I guess what people are saying is to use something more current, like warpinator instead ?

Anyway if you still want Nitroshare why not install it the easy way...clcik this link.
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb

Then double click it in your downloads folder.
Yes it is from older Ubuntu (18 Bionic), but there are no dependency issues I just installed it in a Mint 21 VM
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Installation & Boot”