[SOLVED] Configuration for a dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djmintc
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Configuration for a dual boot

Post by djmintc »

I’m running Windows 10 Home on an Acer [Intel 5-10400 16GB RAM]. I boot from a 500GB SSD that has Windows and Program Files. All data, including the default Windows folders, is on an NTFS 1TB HDD. A while ago I was experimenting with LM 20.2 running it in Virtual Box [VB]. But I ran into file read / access problems, so discontinued the evaluation until I could learn LM better. The SSD still has a 100MB EFI partition 1 and a 509MB Recovery partition 4 from the VB evaluation; otherwise it has about 100GB, from the Windows install. The 1TB HDD has about 320GB of data, including many large .mp4 files and a lot of .jpgs. I back up the HDD weekly / daily to a 2TB external HDD and mirror the updated weekly to another 2TB HDD for offsite storage. This takes a lot of time for the initial process, but the ongoing backups are fast because my data doesn’t change all that much now that I have finished the projects to digitize a lot of media.

Learning about LM21.1 Cinnamon, I note that it can read and write NTFS files and the 1TB HDD can be mounted. At this point, I think I will be looking to run LM alongside W10, with fast startup and secure boot disabled. I understand from the Installation Guide that I will not have to worry about formatting the 500GB SSD – LM takes care of providing an environment for the LM install.

There are two areas that I am not yet clear about handling in a dual boot configuration.

1. I would like to be able to continue my concept of segregating the “system” aspects of the install to be served from and maintained on the 500GB SSD [Disk 1 in the present scheme.]

a) I have the 100MB EFI partition 1 already, but should perhaps consider enlarging the Recovery partition 4, given that the system has 16GB RAM?
b) I will likely just have one user under the root… /root /david. Is it viable to locate the various data directories that contain my files that will be under this directory on the 1TB HDD [Disk 0 in the present scheme] instead of on the 500GB SSD where the system and relatively static material will be kept?

2. I think the present 1TB HDD can be left and continue as NTFS, since it will be accessible by LM? [I don’t have any strong feeling that it must be NTFS rather than ext4… it just seems much easier to access it’s 320GB of data “as is” instead of having to do some sort of conversion / reformat / recovery of a lot of material.]

If the answer or suggestion from 1 b) above is to reformat and establish the 1TB HDD as an ext4, would it then make sense to plan to do the entire LM install and operation from the 1 TB HDD, leaving Windows by itself on the 500MB SSD?

Thanks in advance to anyone familiar with the Windows>LM migration. If my thinking is wrong on these issues, I’ll be very happy to learn that now before I start down a deep rabbit hole!

I have a screenshot image of the configuration, but cannot see how to attach it to this message, even though the sidebar says [img] is ON...
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Configuration for a dual boot

Post by mikeflan »

Acer [Intel 5-10400 16GB RAM]
I assume that is a laptop?
I see there are 2 drives in it - a 0.5TB SSD and a 1TB HDD. That sounds fine.
I will be looking to run LM alongside W10
Good decision.
should perhaps consider enlarging the Recovery partition 4, given that the system has 16GB RAM?
No need to do that. The Recovery partition is just for windows.
I will likely just have one user under the root… /root /david.
It will be /home/david.
Is it viable to locate the various data directories that contain my files that will be under this directory on the 1TB HDD [Disk 0 in the present scheme] instead of on the 500GB SSD where the system and relatively static material will be kept?
Your data directories and files can be kept on the 1TB HDD (data drive). If that case it is seperate from the /home/david directory, which is fine. Your /home/david directory will contain the hidden configuration files for your installs.
I think the present 1TB HDD can be left and continue as NTFS, since it will be accessible by LM?
Yes, correct.
it just seems much easier to access it’s 320GB of data “as is” instead of having to do some sort of conversion / reformat / recovery of a lot of material.]
There is no conversion, but put another way, there is no need to make another copy of your existing ntfs data just to get permissions activated. It will be fine to use it on the ntfs partition where permissions are not kept.
If the answer or suggestion from 1 b) above is to reformat and establish the 1TB HDD as an ext4
That is not my recommentation assuming you still want to use windows.
If my thinking is wrong on these issues, I’ll be very happy to learn that now before I start down a deep rabbit hole!
So far it looks like you have done good research and you might be ready to jump in. But I will make one suggestion which will take a bit of your time. I recommend you do a Whole disk image of your 0.5 TB SSD with foxclone before you install LM. That way you can always put your existing system back exactly as it is now in case you don't like LM for any reason. It's a lot more work on your part, but might be worth it. We can help you do that if you want to do that.
I have a screenshot image of the configuration, but cannot see how to attach it to this message
Post pic to the forum: (picture, image)
viewtopic.php?p=2092757#p2092757
viewtopic.php?p=1999476#p1999476
viewtopic.php?p=2206430#p2206430
viewtopic.php?p=2207187#p2207187
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267320

I suspect you are aware that you need to create a new partition for LM, even though you made no mention of that in your post.
djmintc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djmintc »

Thank you, Mike flan! The Acer is a desktop. Will do more study before an actual dual boot install... missed the root vs home nomenclature. And I really want to understand where my data versus configuration material is so that I can set up good backups. I hadn't realized I will need to create a LM partition on install... thought there was already 100gb there. Will study the screenshot :D procedures in case I need more help. And I will DEFINITELY follow your advice about cloning the existing Windows drive .. a small time investment in the overall scheme of things. BTW, I had an older 32 bit Toshiba set aside for testing, but have decided to use the Live System approach from a USB drive, which I tested and authenticated last night. First look at LM21.1 was impressive. But I won't install for a while yet. This request can be closed. I will see if I can do that. Thanks again!
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

The Acer is a desktop.
In that case I suggest you abandon the "install alongside" option and install LM on another SSD installed in the same computer. Unplug the windows SSD while you install LM. Then plug in both SSD, boot to Linux, and run sudo update-grub.

If you don't have another SSD then "install alongside" is OK.

No need to close this out immediately, but if you want to label the post as "Solved":
Push the pencil (edit) button at the top of the post and edit the subject to include "Solved".
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=267264
djmintc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djmintc »

I have decided to go with another 512GB SSD which I will use just for LM.

Return to “Installation & Boot”