Cannot login

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
henrym
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot login

Post by henrym »

I had to Timeshift my computer. Now I cannot login. When I type in the password, it goes black, shows the NVIDIA splash screen, and then goes back to the login screen.
Can I fix this without a complete OS reinstall? I can wipe the drive and reinstall the OS without losing any important files, but I want to fix it if I can.
I am sure that I entered the correct password.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot login

Post by rene »

The usual referral for login loop is viewtopic.php?p=1769597#p1769597

I'll add that if you use home-directory encryption and changed your user password since that Timeshift snapshot was created that you'll want to with (as your user from that text console) passwd set it back to what it was at the time of that snapshot.
henrym
Level 2
Level 2

Post by henrym »

The root partition is full. The thread at the link tells me how to discover that, but how do I fix it.
Last edited by henrym on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henrym
Level 2
Level 2

Post by henrym »

I ran "ls -alh"
I do not see a directory in / taking too much space.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Usually it's too many Timeshift snapshots. Confirm large size of /timeshift with sudo du -sh /timeshift. If large, delete selectively in /timeshift or just blow them all away with sudo rm -r /timeshift/*. Once back in limit number of snapshots and/or move them elsewhere.

If not /timeshift it's supposedly flatpaks; flatpak list and selectively flatpak uninstall <app-id as shown in list> followed by flatpak uninstall --unused, or unselectively flatpak uninstall --all.

sudo apt-get clean doesn't hurt.

If still not it tends to be out of control logging to some file in /var/log; you'd need to look there and see what's going berserk to make it stop.
oligalma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oligalma »

If you can't login in graphical interface, you can login in TTY, which allows you to fix the issue. When you get to the login screen press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (if this doesn't work, you can try with F2, F3...)

Return to “Installation & Boot”