<SOLVED>„A start job is running for: Light display manager, network manager, login service”

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>„A start job is running for: Light display manager, network manager, login service”

Post by Bucky »

I’m a total newbie to linux, and i decided do install linux mint
20 Ulyana Xfce 64 bit version, alongside windows 7 on my old laptop from a pendrive. So i boot up the laptop, go to bios and select booting from the usb pendrive and I’m in the grub menu and select linux mint, and it’s installing. Unfortunately I noticed that it’ stuck at a loop of: Starting light display manager, failed to start light display manager, a start job is running for light display manager, black screen, again the same stuff. And the same for network manager and light display manager. One time a desktop turned on, but i didn’t see any further installation programs. I moved my mouse for a little bit and the endless loop started again. I’m attaching a picture so you can understand it correctly.Image
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Re: „A start job is running for: Light display manager, network manager, login service”

Post by Bucky »

Here's the link to the image on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DnIG2Y ... sp=sharing
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: „A start job is running for: Light display manager, network manager, login service”

Post by SMG »

Bucky wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:32 am20 Ulyana Xfce 64 bit version, alongside windows 7 on my old laptop from a pendrive. So i boot up the laptop, go to bios and select booting from the usb pendrive and I’m in the grub menu and select linux mint, and it’s installing.
Welcome to the forum, Bucky.

Did you install Linux Mint on the pendrive? If so, what instructions did you use?

If you were you just trying to boot the pendrive so you could install Linux Mint, then based on the photo I suggest burning a new ISO to your pendrive. You should not be stuck on a loop booting to a live session of Linux Mint so you can install it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

I actually did try to burn a new ISO in to the pendrive, a newer version and I did not experience this loop, however I came across a different bug. This time it's:
blk_update_request: I/O error dev sdb

Over and over again. I did reset the laptop multiple times. It had the same result, except one time it ended on:
end kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:01 pm I actually did try to burn a new ISO in to the pendrive, a newer version and I did not experience this loop, however I came across a different bug. This time it's:
blk_update_request: I/O error dev sdb

Over and over again. I did reset the laptop multiple times. It had the same result, except one time it ended on:
end kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init
An I/O error is usually a hardware related error. What is sbd? Is it the hard drive or the pendrive?
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

If it is the drive I'm booting the laptop from it's the pendrive. I don't know if this will help but it also displays:
usb 1-2 reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Do you have a different usb port or a different pendrive you can use?

What software did you use to burn the ISO to the pendrive?
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

I have a different pendrive, but i don't know is it that big in gigabytes to burn the ISO on it. I used universal usb installer from pendrivelinux.com
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

The desktop showed up but instead of a mint logo there is a black screen. What does it mean?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm I have a different pendrive, but i don't know is it that big in gigabytes to burn the ISO on it.
Is it at least 4 GB in size? If so, then it will fit.
Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pmI used universal usb installer from pendrivelinux.com
I am not familiar with that program. Maybe someone else can help you.
Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:38 pm The desktop showed up but instead of a mint logo there is a black screen. What does it mean?
When one creates a bootable usb, one usually gets a menu to select either to continue boot to Linux Mint or to select compatibility mode. I do not understand how you are booting without getting that screen. And I really don't understand what you mean by saying you have a desktop if all you have is a black screen.
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

SMG really thank you for the help, the black screen after a few seconds turned into a desktop with Install linux mint.
Problem is solved however idk how it got solved, I just didn't pay attention to the screen and it magically skipped that error.
Again thanks.
Bucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bucky »

"And I really don't understand what you mean by saying you have a desktop if all you have is a black screen." I meant that i had the
program bar at the bottom, and didn't have the wallpaper.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:43 pm SMG really thank you for the help, the black screen after a few seconds turned into a desktop with Install linux mint.
Problem is solved however idk how it got solved, I just didn't pay attention to the screen and it magically skipped that error.
Again thanks.
You're welcome. Just because messages come up on the screen does not mean they are errors and also does not mean they stop the process. Older computers can sometimes take longer to boot, especially if they are booting from a pendrive.
Bucky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:45 pm "And I really don't understand what you mean by saying you have a desktop if all you have is a black screen." I meant that i had the
program bar at the bottom, and didn't have the wallpaper.
Okay. It was just a terminology issue because a desktop with no wallpaper, but with the panel at the bottom is not a "black screen".

Return to “Installation & Boot”