[SOLVED] SSD Format for New Linux Mint Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy

[SOLVED] SSD Format for New Linux Mint Install

Post by FenderGuy »

Guys, I just checked the SSD drive mapping on my Linux Mint install 21.1, and it reads like this:

File system Partition 1:
537 MB FAT

File system Partition 2:
500 GB EXT4

Free space:
1.1 MB

Is this correct, and if not, what OUGHT it be - and HOW do I do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SSD Format for New Linux Mint Install

Post by rene »

If the SSD is 500G big and the system is set to boot in UEFI mode it's correct-correct. If it's booting in Legacy mode it's correct-half-correct -- i.e., 1.5 correct -- in the sense of the 512MiB (537MB) FAT partition being unnecessarily created also in Legacy mode by the Ubuntu/Mint installer. You may ignore that.

In UEFI mode it's the so-called ESP (EFI System Partition), i.e., that where bootloaders such as Grub and the Windows EFI-mode bootloader reside. The 1.1M free space thing is just alignment.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

rene wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:03 pm If the SSD is 500G big and the system is set to boot in UEFI mode it's correct-correct. If it's booting in Legacy mode it's correct-half-correct -- i.e., 1.5 correct -- in the sense of the 512MiB (537MB) FAT partition being unnecessarily created also in Legacy mode by the Ubuntu/Mint installer. You may ignore that.

In UEFI mode it's the so-called ESP (EFI System Partition), i.e., that where bootloaders such as Grub and the Windows EFI-mode bootloader reside. The 1.1M free space thing is just alignment.
Okay. how do I determine what the mode in which my system is booting?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware/efi
If that (directory) exists you've booted in UEFI mode, if not, in Legacy. Note once again; even if latter it's a well-known and inconsequential bug (or feature if we insist...) of the installer and is fine to ignore.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

rene wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:03 pm

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware/efi
If that (directory) exists you've booted in UEFI mode, if not, in Legacy. Note once again; even if latter it's a well-known and inconsequential bug (or feature if we insist...) of the installer and is fine to ignore.
...well known and inconsequential bug of the installer...fine to ignore.

Okay. Now, I know. Thanks! :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”