help please error on bios grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xmanz
Level 1
Level 1

help please error on bios grub

Post by xmanz »

Hi there im trying to get my ssd with w10 to be reconised again after a mint fresh install it doesnt seem to want to be shown.
amongst issues id though id start with this one incase it affects other issues....so this is my mint install ssd.......
ssd error.png

this is windows 10
win 10
win 10
grub data
grub.png

any help appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: help please error on bios grub

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

It looks like Windows is installed on BIOS legacy mode. Current Mint editions (LM 21.X) try to install on both BIOS and UEFI mode. In your case EFI partition (sda1) is not flagged correctly (it would esp,boot) to boot on UEFI mode and also that bios boot/bios_grub (sda2) partition you have created is ext.4 and it used to be no filesystem at all (cleared). I´m not sure those changes on flags and filesystem was made for you after installing and you didn´t commnent what you did before.

Run and post back sudo efibootmgr -v and/or inxi -SM to confirm the mode you are booting . ´

If booting on BIOS legacy mode, Windows will be detected after running sudo update-grub and Windows entry will be offered on next boot GRUB menu (no need to modify grub file).

You would be able to boot Mint on BIOS mode, choosing Mint´s disk on computer´s boot menu (see this or you computer user manual), not ubuntu or EUFI Mint disk option.

If it is not, no Mint BIOS boot option is offered on computer boot order/boot menu or you can not boot that option, then BIOS Legacy mode install would failed. In that case:

Maybe you want to reinstall Mint from scratch and avoid UEFI mode Install, ensuring it installs on BIOS legacy only mode: booting Linux Mint Live on BIOS mode, formatting Mint disk on MBR/msdos partition scheme and creating only one ext.4 partition with Gparted or Disks, installing Mint with Something Else option and ignoring the warning to create an EFI partition).

Without reinstalling (so keeping Mint already installed) I would try booting Linux Mint live USB on BIOS mode to format bios boot partition to cleared and re-flag if needed with Gparted. Then reinstalling grub (bios).

Wait for another users suggestions as I´m not sure you can recreate bios-grub partition (maybe with gdisk or running dd on terminal) from Mint installed session. Also I´m not sure running sudo grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda will work w/o formatting sda2 to cleared.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”