Upgrade using command line

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hummeling
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade using command line

Post by hummeling »

I'm very fond of Linux Mint and run it on several systems including a server. Since the server doesn't have a monitor attached to it I'd like to upgrade from 20.3 to 21 but mintupgrade uses a GUI. Is it possible to run mintupgrade in headless mode, or should I use something like Remote Desktop to use the graphic interface?
Any other tips to use Mint on a server are welcome :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgrade using command line

Post by xenopeek »

No, mintupgrade requires using the GUI. You could upgrade the usual way for a server (pointing apt to the new repositories and asking it do the upgrade). If you break it, you fix it.

The mintupgrade tool is intended for desktop users and does checks and disables some things to avoid the most common upgrade problems encountered by users. Simple things like checking the computer is on AC power, there's a recent Timeshift snapshot, there is enough disk space and bit more complex making sure there are no held or foreign packages.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

and no compelling reason
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yeah, use the Mint programs. There are CLI ways to do these sort of things but in Ubuntu derived distros they have a nasty habit of turring the OS into a Frankenubuntu.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Installation & Boot”