Linux Mint Mac Mini (2009)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
10vorne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Mac Mini (2009)

Post by 10vorne »

My plan is to give my old Mac Mini (2009 I think) a new life with Linux Mint. I have now tested different versions (LM xfce and Cinnamon, but also Ubuntu native). I'm not an experienced Linux user, so when I have problems I come to an end with ideas relatively quickly. I booted from the stick, the installation hangs, I tested nomodeset as a parameter, safe mode...without success). The OEM install runs with XFCE and Cinnamon, but after install the system does not boot or produces errors (see screenshot). I'll let it run overnight, but I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what else I could try.

https://ibb.co/N18jMwC

https://ibb.co/mXCyPfv
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pulegium
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Mac Mini (2009)

Post by Pulegium »

Please provide us with a bit more information about your Mac Mini and it's specifications . This will help us to help you .

Older Macs are a bit particular about installing Linux from a USB drive . You might have more luck if you burn the ISO to a DVD .

A quick and dirty work around I have found is to install antiX ( it usually works from USB ) then install Mint on top of that and work out any remaining problems from there . antiX seems to come with many of the drivers required for old Macs . Judging by the experience of other Mac users on this site MX Linux works at least as well as antiX . MX is based in part on antiX . antiX might be quicker to install due to it's small size .

Proprietary GPU drivers are often a problem with Macs that can usually be surmounted with " Nouveau " open source drivers .

Be sure to search the forums carefully . Although installing Linux on Macs is something of an arcane art there are now quite a number of very informative threads regarding Macs on the Mint forums .

Return to “Installation & Boot”