Can't boot from usb drive for nothing

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arisu
Level 1
Level 1

Can't boot from usb drive for nothing

Post by Arisu »

Recently i've been having some problems with wifi connection on 20.3, i tried fixing it but eventually it just stopped working completely (the network settings doesn't show any wifi options).

I figured i should install the 21.1 version so i made a bootable usb drive. Problem is, i just have no idea on how to run this thing. Grub just won't show up whatsoever.
I've managed to install the 21 version with the terminal, and yet the wifi problem still continues and it still wont boot from the usb drive.
Already tried pressing F12 and holding Ctrl+Alt and pressing Del, both wont work.

Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't boot from usb drive for nothing

Post by mikeflan »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have been in your bios before. How do you get into your bios? Delete, F1, F9, or something else.
I figured i should install the 21.1 version so i made a bootable usb drive.
How did you make that bootable usb drive?
Problem is, i just have no idea on how to run this thing.
You plug it in, start the computer, get to your boot menu in your bios, and select the bootable usb drive.
I've managed to install the 21 version with the terminal
How did you do that?
Arisu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arisu »

It sounds like you have been in your bios before. How do you get into your bios? Delete, F1, F9, or something else.
I never got to manually choose the bios while starting the pc, Mint is the only OS on it.
How did you make that bootable usb drive?
The bootable usb was made by downloading the ISO, then writing it on the usb drive right clicking the ISO, as demonstrated here: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
You plug it in, start the computer, get to your boot menu in your bios, and select the bootable usb drive.
That's what i've been trying to do, but i just can't access the boot menu, it's the whole problem really.
How did you do that?
I followed the instructions on this page: https://www.edivaldobrito.com.br/como-a ... ntupgrade/
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

What brand and model of laptop or desktop are you using?

You can try the following ...
  • Read the manual and be certain you are using the correct keyboard key to enter the manual.
    Remove the boot drive from the motherboard and try to boot into the BIOS.
    When booting do not have any USB devices attached to the computer.
    Read the manual and see how to reset the BIOS. Have a flashable BIOS firmware on hand.
You said the computer came with Linux on it so was this a turnkey system you bought? If so, the manufacturer may have, for their own sanity, disabled the USB boot on the PC or laptop. Once you do get into the BIOS be certain to enable that and to look for an option that will display the full boot message or an option that will say to display the boot prompts for a certain amount of seconds. If there is a time for the prompt then set it for something like 8 seconds, this will give the BIOS time enough to display it during the boot process and time enough for you to react to it. People that set it for 1 second may shorten their boot times but they also make it difficult to get into the BIOS as the prompt ends before they can respond to it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”