how to dual boot windows and mint on the same hard drive.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Warlock1111
Level 1
Level 1

how to dual boot windows and mint on the same hard drive.

Post by Warlock1111 »

i want to install Mint on my laptop but i have only one drive.
i never dual botted on the same drive before. so can anyone n give me some tips and/or have a taturial he can recomend?

few things i should point out:
1.i set up a seperate partition for Mint
2:all of my data is saved on external drive so there is no risk for data loss
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to dual boot windows and mint on the same hard drive.

Post by diabolicbg »

1. Install Windows 10.
2. Use its Disk Manager and split the disk into two parts as you want. The LM needs at least 100 GB to have storage space as well. It's a good idea to allocate about 50GB for Timeshift so you can restore your system if needed. It is enough to keep 2-3 backups.
3. IMPORTANT: Download Windows Update Blocker /WUB/, unzip it in Windows and run it. Block updates. This will save you problems because Windows on update will overwrite the boot partition and prevent you from running LM.
4. Run LM from a flash stick and select "something else" when installing.
5. Set the first free partition to / - ext4. The LM will be installed there.
6. Set the other partition /50GB/ to format - ext4. After installation, select it for Timeshift.
6. After the LM installation, it will boot. Open a terminal and run the command: sudo update-grub
7. Restart the system.
After the reboot you will see a menu to select the OS.
Good luck!

Note: You lose nothing from blocked Windows updates. I used Windows from 3.11 until today, never updated and never had any problems from that.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: how to dual bot windows and mint on the same hard drive.

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You are assuming OP is installing on EFI mode ( to be confirmed). In case Windows is installed on BIOS mode (i.e. if installing LM 21.X on BIOS mode):
a)Be sure partition number when creating new ones. On MBR disks there must be four primary partitions max or three primary partitions and an extended one.
Sometimes you need to remove previous Windows partitions and/or create that extended partition on point 2 and/or partitions you create on point 4-5 must be logical not primary.

In case of doubts take a Windows Disk Manager's screenshot or post back inxi -SM; sudo parted -l results when booting Linux Mint Live.
b)You will receive a warning about an EFI partition is needed because a Mint's installer bug (between first 6 and second 6 point :D). Ignore it and Continue
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:55 am You are assuming OP is installing on EFI mode ( to be confirmed). In case Windows is installed on BIOS mode (i.e. if installing LM 21.X on BIOS mode):
a)Be sure partition number when creating new ones. On MBR disks there must be four primary partitions max or three primary partitions and an extended one.
Sometime you need to remove previous Windows partitions and/or create that extended partition on point 2 and/or partitions you create on point 4-5 must be logical not primary.

In case of doubts take a Windows Disk Manager screenshot or post back inxi -SM; sudo parted -l results when booting Linux Mint Live.
b)You will receive a warning about an EFI partition is needed because a Mint's installer bug (between first 6 and second 6 point :D). Ignore it and Continue
+1 :D
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Warlock1111
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Warlock1111 »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:55 am You are assuming OP is installing on EFI mode ( to be confirmed). In case Windows is installed on BIOS mode (i.e. if installing LM 21.X on BIOS mode):
Sometimes you need to remove previous Windows partitions and/or create that extended partition on point 2 and/or partitions you create on point 4-5 must be logical not primary.

In case of doubts take a Windows Disk Manager's screenshot or post back inxi -SM; sudo parted -l results when booting Linux Mint Live.
1.wait what?! can you eliborate on the partition thing?

You are assuming OP is installing on EFI mode
the OP you are reffering is windows? or Linux?
assuming its windows what should i do if it installed on EFI mode?
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: how to dual boot windows and mint on the same hard drive.

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Notice my post was only to confirm boot mode (it was unknown) and just in case of Windows installed on Legacy BIOS mode. If Windows is installed on UEFI mode
1.It must be GPT partitioning scheme, so no problem with primary partitions.

2.Just install Mint following diabolicbg indications.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”