error message, restart, stuck on login screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

error message, restart, stuck on login screen

Post by Brian h65 »

2 days ago, I got a message saying something was almost out of space, only 24 MB left. When clicked on the choice to resolve it, it took me to an admin page, a colored circle with a trailing slash appeared in the tray, which would never fully load. I did not take good notes on what I saw, sadly. I tried restart, and the machine gave me only a black screen with the LM logo ( circle). I let that run for a long time, 10- 20 minutes, then I forced the power off, and soon enough got back to the login screen, but after entering my password, the login screen returned, with password blank, as if to type it again. This is all I can do now, my machine is stuck on the login page. I tried the onscreen keyboard, with the same result. Letting it sit off overnight and resuming the next day did not help either.
I have external backups.
Mint 20.3
Cinnamon
I am thinking the system backup with timeshift are clogging things up, but doesn't that have an automatic trash feature, for older backups?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: error message, restart, stuck on login screen

Post by sleeper12 »

You can access Timeshift from your install media to remove old snapshots that may be taking up valuable space.
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

thank you. is there way I can get to the command line prior to logging in?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Brian h65 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:37 pm thank you. is there way I can get to the command line prior to logging in?
I don't know, Did you try Ctrl, Alt & T?
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

yes, no response.
I did find out I have Mint 20.1 Ulysa Cinnamon Intel premium G4500 @ 3.5 Ghz

Ctrl +Alt + f6 got me a Black screen command line, but I could not log in, either
Ctrl + Alt + f7 gets me back to login screen

Del for boot menu, with backup HD mounted, but I was told to reboot with proper media. maybe I selected the wrong disk. it's a Toshiba, and Toshiba was in the screen list, so I chose that. There was also a WDC choice and maybe that would have done it.
I went in to Bios set up, and put in my existing password, as new password, but that did not help yet either. I turned off the machine, and I will try again later if I don't find any other ideas.
CTRL+ ALT+ prnt scrn + R + E + I + S + U +B I think restarts the machine

Return to “Installation & Boot”