Mint 21.1 does not boot after installation on a Samsung RF711

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
konrad_mr
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 21.1 does not boot after installation on a Samsung RF711

Post by konrad_mr »

Hello. I wanted to install Mint 21.1 on a friend's old Samsung RF711. First we issued UEFI, then installed from a USB stick. Everything was perfect. The computer completed the routine and restarted itself.

Unfortunately, he could not boot the operating system. The boot order set in the BIOS was already correct. Answer:

"Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media on selected boot device and press a key".

OK, we have the other hard disk (RF711 has two! disks). Same result.

We allowed UEFI and reinstalled. Result: Mint loads, but after the green logo, only a flat, irregularly flashing cursor appears at the top left.

OK. we pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get the console. It shows the console login, but after 2 seconds it jumps back to the screen with the blinking cursor. Bugger me!

O.K., we switched to LVM mode during the next install process. No differences...

The next day we took out the old HDDs (two 500 GB HDDs) and put in my 128 GB SSD (ADATA).

Same stories as before...

Super Grub Disk crashes while uploading.

What else can we try next? Does somebody has any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Greeting,
Konrad
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 21.1 does not boot after installation on a Samsung RF711

Post by SMG »

konrad_mr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 am Hello. I wanted to install Mint 21.1 on a friend's old Samsung RF711.
Welcome to the forum, Konrad.

The person in this topic Nouveau issues on NVidia GT540 prevents Vera install had the same problems with the same Samsung RF711 and ended up installing Vanessa and then did an upgrade in place to Vera.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
konrad_mr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 21.1 does not boot after installation on a Samsung RF711

Post by konrad_mr »

Hey, thanks for the tip. We installed Mint 21 Vanessa and it works! The computer boots and everything works as it should. Kind regards from Marburg/Germany, Konrad. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”