20.2 cinnamon won't allow login !?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

20.2 cinnamon won't allow login !?

Post by brjoon1021 »

Hello,

I get a login screen now which does not allow me to log in, unfortunately. I'm using the correct password, and yes I'm aware of caps. I am not given root as an option to log in. Previously mint was set to login automatically. I do not know what happened I have not done any updates
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 20.2 cinnamon won't allow login !?

Post by deck_luck »

brjoon1021 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 pm Hello,

I get a login screen now which does not allow me to log in, unfortunately. I'm using the correct password, and yes I'm aware of caps. I am not given root as an option to log in. Previously mint was set to login automatically. I do not know what happened I have not done any updates
It is very common problem with Linux Mint users when the / or /home file systems are at 100% capacity. Do you have your original Linux Mint Installation/Live media. If so you should attempt booting it and examine your file systems usage on your Linux Mint storage devices.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brjoon1021 »

Thanks Gentlemen,

It is due to a lack of space. I used the USB media I installed from to try to delete some junk, but "delete" and "move to trash" are greyed out so I cannot fix he problem. There is no rt-Cllick "run as root" or any way to elevate provileges so that I can delete.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

Are you sure you were accessing the current Linux Mint installation instead of the Linux Mint ISO install/Live media? What did you identify to delete? Assuming the current LM installation file systems are mounted either / and or /home you might find the Disk Usage (baobab) utility useful.

Are you capable of using the terminal session with the bash shell? Also, are you using the TimeShift utility for OS snap shots when running the Update Manager?

Please keep in mind, you will not free up space when using the move to trash function in your file manager.

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brjoon1021 »

As long as the terminal commands are not really advanced I can use the terminal. I need to totally delete some files from the installation. Hopefully that can be accomplished - move to trash won't do.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED. : 20.2 cinnamon won't allow login !?

Post by brjoon1021 »

hmmm I took a different route into the folder of the instalation and saw an option that i did not have before "open as root" I was then able to delete necessary clutter.

Thanks
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

Cool beans. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”