[Solved] Insert bootable media problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Insert bootable media problem

Post by wibbly »

I have read numerous posts, and been all over the web, but can't solve my problem. I am hoping that this file generated by boot repair may provide useful information to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

I booted up my desktop for the first time in months, it was working fine before.
Got a message 'Insert bootable media'.
Could not get around it, so grabbed the USB and installed a new copy of Mint, thinking that this would keep my personal files whilst restoring the system.
I ended up with two copies of mint, the original and a new OEM one (which I do not want).
My BIOS will not detect the HDD (Seagate WD Black 1TB) - New data cable ordered though this may be a false hope.
I can hook the HDD up to my laptop via a caddy, it shows boot/original mint/new OEM mint. It also shows that all of my pics and program files are in the trash?
I tried Timeshift but no joy.
Tried various BIOS Legacy/UEFI options but no joy.
The Live boot check states that there is an unknown MBR.

I am trying to get the pc to boot, and want to get rid of the OEM install. The boot repair file is attached, but the Paste.org seems to be linked to a dodgy site.

Is there any way to do this? My only other option is to use the caddy to copy all the files I wish to keep, format the HDD, and do a complete fresh install.
Boot repair.txt
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linuxmint 64bit version Always the latest version
Intel i5 4690k @ 3.50Ghz x 4
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB
wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Insert bootable media problem

Post by wibbly »

New data cable arrived, swapped it in and my system was back. No idea how the old one went AWOL it's been in there for years untouched.
Used Gparted to delete the unwanted and unmounted OEM install.
I also expanded the used partition to take up the unallocated space, but this left me with 1MB unallocated that I can't get rid of.
Took the opportunity to upgrade to Uma, and download all of the updatess.
This left me with a Grub menu that still had the OEM boot options.
Downloaded Grub Customiser and deleted them.
It now boots into UMA.
The only slight annoyance is the 1MB unallocated, but as it is a 1TB drive it's not a problem. No idea how solve that one. :?:
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB
wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Insert bootable media problem

Post by wibbly »

Now established that the 1mb is normal. So case closed m'lud.
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB

Return to “Installation & Boot”