Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iriches
Level 1
Level 1

Changing OS Boot Order to Default to XP - Newbie Alert

Post by iriches »

Firstly - thanks in anticipation. I know newbie questions can be irritating, and I have searched the forum for an answer, honest!

I've just successfully installed Mint 8 on my PC, dual booting with WinXP. All has worked well, and the Grub bootloader gives the option of booting into both OSes.

However, my wife likes to switch on the PC and go away and do something while it boots. It's a habit. She has no interest (yet!) in Linux. Is there any way of changing the default boot option so that if you just leave the machine it boots into XP? I've looked through the "Control Centre" and can't see anything relevant there. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Ian

iriches
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Changing OS Boot Order to Default to XP - Newbie Alert

Post by iriches »

Solved! Managed to work it out for myself by googling elsewhere and not just on this forum.

Involved changing a config file (grub.conf) in the /boot/grub directory. Had to change the default option from 0 to 4, as XP was the 5th in the list. Hardest thing was working out how to edit the file, as it was protected. Managed to work out that I needed to be a "root". Fun.

Thanks for not helping me too quickly and letting me work it out for myself ;-)

Ian

volosong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by volosong »

Thank you, Ian, for posting an update with the solution to your little dilemma. Just what I was looking for. In my case, I want to increase the boot time before the default OS loads. Ten seconds, or whatever it is, just isn't quite enough.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

Glad that you solved it yourself! The best way to learn IMO.

Could you add [Solved] to the title of the original post to help people? To do it, just go to your original post, click Edit then add [solved] or similar to the Subject and submit.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

Actually, the correct way to update that is through /etc/default/grub, and running sudo update-grub afterwards.
See here -> http://www.joewein.net/blog/2009/11/28/ ... b2-loader/

Prophet Zarquon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Prophet Zarquon »

None of that worked. For some reason my GRUB2 gets overwritten after editing by hand OR by StartUp Manager.
But THIS worked:

http://saji89.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/ ... /#comments

Telling Terminal to:

sudo mv 30_os-prober 08_0s-prober
sudo update-grub

was definitely SIMPLER than any other method I found, plus it worked. Always a nice bonus. :mrgreen:

Dunno why other GRUB2 edits don't stick, but like a Mac user, if It Just Works, I don't really care what's happening. :wink:
(Actually this will keep me awake nights until I figure out why the OS provided GUI tool doesn't work. That's just WEIRD.)

Return to “Installation & Boot”