Help - Why does GRUB appear in this scenario?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cavgirl
Level 1
Level 1

Help - Why does GRUB appear in this scenario?

Post by cavgirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm very confused. I have a VAIO AR series laptop, and I've had bad experiences with grub/lilo on Vaios before when wanting to return to pure Windows. So, bearing in mind that this machine is still running Windows 7 RC, I thought I'd install Linux Mint onto an 8 GB flash drive. I though this would give me the best of both worlds without actually doing anything to the MBR of the hard drives on the laptop - it's got two c. 150GB separate drives.

Installation went well, but when I restarted I got 'GRUB loading. error: no such disk' - but I don't understand WHY. Mint wasn't installed onto the hard drive to begin with, and this message appears regardless of whether the flash card is in the slot or not. I tried fiddling with boot order in bios as well, and it made no difference. What do I do? Is this what happens when you install onto a flash drive?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Help - Why does GRUB appear in this scenario?

Post by Husse » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 am

Sorry for the late answer - I must give other duties priority for a while
I got 'GRUB loading. error: no such disk' - but I don't understand WHY. Mint wasn't installed onto the hard drive to begin with, and this message appears regardless of whether the flash card is in the slot or not.
This means that grub was installed on the hard drive one way or the other
Unless you choose differently in the last "page", the Advanced button in the lower right corner, grub is put at the MBR of the hard drive
It may have something to do with a flash drive, but more with installing to a removable device
Grub is on the hard disk, but the rest is on the removable device and you probably get a problem for the system to identify the flash drive - explanation here
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Installation & Boot”