How to install Linux Mint in the (D)or(E) Drive ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxN00bTM
Level 1
Level 1

How to install Linux Mint in the (D)or(E) Drive ?

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

hello Experts
i have a question i downloaded linux mint 8 Main Edition
I burned the iso image to a cd
I inserted the cd and reboot (Im Using windows 7 Ultimate 32bit)
boot from cd and i tried installing Linux Mint to dual boot with windows 7
I have 3 harddrives c,d,e
i want to install Linux Mint on Drive E so i want to choose Install on D but i cant do it (After choosing advanced install)
i cant install except on Drive C by removing a part of it to install Mint
i dont want to do this because i want to keep windows 7 as my default Os
So if i didnt go to chose Linux Mint Windows 7 will start automatically after 8s
Because if i installed it on c Linux Mint will start automatically and windows 7 will be the 3rd option
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to install Linux Mint in the (D)or(E) Drive ?

Post by beefstu »

Im a little confused as to your question, are you saying that you have three hard drives, one with Windows 7 on it and two empty ones, one of which you want to install Mint onto?

I personally am not sure how to do this (Im sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and help) but as for the last bit, when you install Mint, Grub (the first thing you see when you boot up with the operating systems on) will always put Mint top, then Mint recovery, them Mem-test then other OSs by default, regardless of where you install them. You can change the order of these by changing a configuration file (grub.cfg) which you should be able to find how by searching the forum.

Hope this helps
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
LinuxN00bTM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

beefstu wrote:Im a little confused as to your question, are you saying that you have three hard drives, one with Windows 7 on it and two empty ones, one of which you want to install Mint onto?

I personally am not sure how to do this (Im sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and help) but as for the last bit, when you install Mint, Grub (the first thing you see when you boot up with the operating systems on) will always put Mint top, then Mint recovery, them Mem-test then other OSs by default, regardless of where you install them. You can change the order of these by changing a configuration file (grub.cfg) which you should be able to find how by searching the forum.

Hope this helps
yes i want to install linux mint on the (E) drive
but i cant do it
i only have the option of installing it on the c drive by shrinking it and creating a drive to install mint on it
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

Ok, just had a look as i'll be doing pretty much the same soon.

when it goes to the where do you want to install page, click on erase and use whole disk option and select the harddrive you want to use from the dropdown box. They wont have D or E on them as thats just the name Windows gives them, instead it has the manufacturer and info about them eg size.

Make sure you don't select the wrong one, if you select the one that has windows on it, mine came up and said this will completely remove windows, just below the drop-down box so hopefully yours will too.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
LinuxN00bTM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

beefstu wrote:Ok, just had a look as i'll be doing pretty much the same soon.

when it goes to the where do you want to install page, click on erase and use whole disk option and select the harddrive you want to use from the dropdown box. They wont have D or E on them as thats just the name Windows gives them, instead it has the manufacturer and info about them eg size.

Make sure you don't select the wrong one, if you select the one that has windows on it, mine came up and said this will completely remove windows, just below the drop-down box so hopefully yours will too.
Thank you dude
i thought that this option will delete windows 7 from the C drive
i will install it tonight and post another Reply
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

it will if you choose the wrong one! i take no resposibilty!
LinuxN00bTM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

beefstu wrote:it will if you choose the wrong one! i take no resposibilty!
i know its pretty late but i followed what you told me
but when i chose erase and use whole disk option it does not detect my 3 hardrives (which are (c),(d)&(E))
it only detects my harddrive as one peice (320Gb) although its divided into 3 parts
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

What you have is a single HD with three different partitions on it - probably all of which are currently ntfs.

Mint will require a minimum of two partitions to install, a small one of type swap, and a larger one for the system itself. What you will need to do is carefully remove the correct partition you want to use (what you refer to as "E" in Windows), and reallocate that space as the two partitions to use for Mint. Be sure of which one you're looking at - if you remove the wrong one, Windows will go away. This can all be done during the installation process by choosing "Specify partitions manually (advanced)".

***BEFORE YOU DO THIS***

Look over this post from Fred:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

And then have a look at the installation section of the Mint 8 user guide here:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... sh_8.1.pdf

Good luck!
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

If you want to install Mint to the D or E drive simply boot to Windows 7 and use the Windows 7 partition tool to delete the partition and leave the space raw or unallocated.

Then boot to the Mint CD, start the installer and choose the "Largest Available Free Space" option at the partitioning screen.

Very easy.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
LinuxN00bTM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

markcynt wrote:If you want to install Mint to the D or E drive simply boot to Windows 7 and use the Windows 7 partition tool to delete the partition and leave the space raw or unallocated.

Then boot to the Mint CD, start the installer and choose the "Largest Available Free Space" option at the partitioning screen.

Very easy.
Thank you that was so easy appreciate it
still got 1 question when the pc boots how can i make windows the default os not mint
i tried using easybcd but it was not detecting linux mint
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

Open Synaptic and install startupmanager, then open Startup-Manager choose the "Boot options" tab if it's not already selected, then select Windows 7 from the drop-down menu.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Return to “Installation & Boot”