Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

does Mint come with a partition editor?

Post by gatorade »

I wanted to do a dual boot with Mint and xp , Mint is already installed and I was following a tutorial which was written for Ubuntu( I thought I might still be able to follow it and get by)

The tutorial was saying to use the partition editor that comes with Ubuntu, but I could not find an equivalent one in Mint.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: does Mint come with a partition editor?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you already have Mint installed, you need to go to Package Manager and install Gparted. In Mint 8, due to space restrictions on the CD, Gparted is not installed by default.

It is, however, on the live CD as part of the installer so you can boot from the CD and use Gparted from the Live CD desktop.
Registered Linux User 483387

walterav
Level 1
Level 1

Re: does Mint come with a partition editor?

Post by walterav »

Aging Technogeek wrote:If you already have Mint installed, you need to go to Package Manager and install Gparted. In Mint 8, due to space restrictions on the CD, Gparted is not installed by default.

It is, however, on the live CD as part of the installer so you can boot from the CD and use Gparted from the Live CD desktop.
I've also been astonished why there is no "gui" partition software by default after install in Mint9, except for "cli". Although it can be found during the liveCD session of Mint9 and earlier. I found several Ubuntu idea's and complaining posts on brainstorm/forum.

Gparted
Most of the con arguments are:
it will be to difficult for beginners
it will be to dangerous
it will not be needed after install
it will fail for allot of users trying to edit mounted/running system partitions which will only work during a liveCD session

But what if you add a external harddisk or USB-pendrive? Tell the users which would come from Windows/Mac OSX which both have included partition/volume managers by default, that they have to boot with the liveCD and repartition? Or do a "sudo apt-get install gparted" when they have no internet connection? Gparted is still not easier after starting it on a liveCD session. I consider it a lot more dangerous having a "format" option in the right mouse button "context menu" in "Nautilus" than having a disk-utility which gives me a better overview of what I'm doing.

palimsest
Ubuntu lucid nowadays ships with palimpsest disk utility "gnome-disk-utility" after install, which is still not perfect but allot better than nothing and a lot easier for users who don't know how to manage user access rights, just format a external harddisk as EXT4 in gparted "runs with sudo" and the average joe "like me in the beginning" cannot put files and folders on it. Palimsest made this allot easier and doesn't need to run as sudo, but its also not included after install on Mint9.

Will a future version of Mint X aka 10 at least contain one of these apps by default after install?

Return to “Installation & Boot”