No grub screen during boot up in Mint 8 (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

No grub screen during boot up in Mint 8 (Solved)

Post by whvann08 »

Hey everyone. I don't know if this is a bug or just the way mint is when installed solo on a drive. I have an old pc I put Mint 8 on at work 120 gb ide hard drive. No other OS on the drive just Mint. At boot up I never see a grub menu like I have always seen in the past. Was this a change in Mint 8 or do I have a problem. It boots fine right up to the log in screen but I don't have my boot options that I had in Mint 6 that I still run at home. Like I said not a real problem for me but I would like to know if this is fixable.

Thanks
Henry
Last edited by whvann08 on Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: No grub screen during boot up in Mint 8

Post by Aging Technogeek »

When Mint 8 is the only OS in the grub menu, the menu is hidden by default. If you want to see it once, press the "Shift" key when the menu should be visible.

There is an entry in/etc/default/grub , "#GRUB HIDDEN TIMEOUT=0". Remove the # and the Grub Menu should become visible.

I can't guarantee these fixes because I have never tried them. I don't have a system where Mint 8 is the only OS. (Everything is at least dual boot.) But others have used them and say they work.
Registered Linux User 483387
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Yep... If it's the only OS on the system, the normal "grub" menu is hidden by default. Pressing the infamous "any" key should show the menu.
Linux User #384279
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whvann08 »

I looked in the grub file on gedit and the line you say that has the #grub-hidden timeout=0 doesn't have the # sign in front.
If I take this line out would that make the grub visible. I tried the shift key but it didn't work ether. but that was on restart. I did not shut the computer completely down and bring it back up.

Thanks
Henry
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whvann08 »

IF this is something that they did by default. What do people do that need to get to the recovery option. The shift option does not work for me. Can you recover from the install disk with out loosing data, just want to keep my options open.

Thanks
Henry
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If the "GRUB HIDDEN TIMEOUT" line is not commented out (preceded by #) then try putting in the #. This will tell the system to ignore this line.
Registered Linux User 483387
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

whvann08 wrote:I looked in the grub file on gedit and the line you say that has the #grub-hidden timeout=0 doesn't have the # sign in front.
If I take this line out would that make the grub visible. I tried the shift key but it didn't work ether. but that was on restart. I did not shut the computer completely down and bring it back up.

Thanks
Henry

I would add the # in front rather than deleting the line from /etc/default/grub.
make sure to run update-grub in a terminal after the edit and you should then see
your grub menu.

Cheers,

Deadguy
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whvann08 »

Thanks everyone I will try this first thing tomorrow . and post back with results

Henry
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whvann08 »

Grub works now thanks everyone for there help.

Henry

Return to “Installation & Boot”