Mint 9: Can't boot Live CD because of monitor (I think)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 9: Can't boot Live CD because of monitor (I think)

Post by wyldekey » Thu May 06, 2010 4:09 pm

I had this same problem with ubuntu 10.04.
When I try booting Mint 9 the Mint logo and 5 green dots appear in the top left quarter of my black screen. After several minutes, after the dots all stay green, the boot screen changes to slightly larger size, but still off center to the left and nothing happens. I get this message after using Ctrl>Alt>F1: { 357.168166 } end-request, I/0 error, dev fd0, sector.
That's all. Then I enter sudo reboot and it pops out the CD.
I didn't see any option for Safe Video Mode when the initial splash screen came on, which was normal size and filled entire screen. If I use my other monitor (HP 20") with my other computer, Mint 9 boots fine. The monitor I'm trying to use is an AOC 22" 1680 X 1200. Linux Mint 8 is installed now and has no problem with this monitor. I have a Geforce 6800 graphics card. Right now it uses the 185 driver. Is this a Nvidia driver problem or because of the new kernel? I don't really understand this stuff! If I switch monitors I should be able to install Mint 9, but then will I have access to a proprietary driver that will work with the AOC monitor?
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.

distro hopper
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 9: Can't boot Live CD because of monitor (I think)

Post by distro hopper » Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm

When you get to the GRUB menu of the live cd, try running the kernel with the nomodeset option as noted in the Ubuntu release notes.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004
Distrohopper

wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

I looked at that page but could not find anything relating to nomodeset. But it looks like if I press the shift key while the first boot screen is up it will give me other options. I guess I'll try that.
Also, when I tried booting the Mint 9 CD on my other computer it worked fine, but after I rebooted from the Live CD back to my HD, the two partitions from my external USB Backup HD no longer mount. When I click on them in the side panel of nautilus, I can't access them! And they mounted fine while I was using Mint 9. I don't get it! I was under the impression booting from a Live CD did not change anything on the HD. How can I no longer have permission to mount my backup? This is ridiculous!
I'm hoping if I use 'sudo chown -R username:username /media/Back-up' it will fix this.

wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey » Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Well, that fixed itself. I rebooted, but still would not auto mount external HD. Then I finally shut down ( had to do a hard shut down, because the only options available from the quit menu option was suspend and hibernate; shut down and restart were not active. Never saw that before). When I turned the computer back on a couple hours later, everything is back to normal. External backup HD partitions show up again!

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Please keep all Isadora discussion here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=47031. This release is still in beta, the problems you are having might be an issue that needs resolving. Please read the release notes.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”