Need Linux Mint 9 Help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scottd44

Need Linux Mint 9 Help

Post by scottd44 »

I am new to Linux and got the download done and put it on a disc well i intalled it and all restarted it but when i go to login the box comes up with my login name and when i click to put my password in it goes to the welcome screen and freezes up.Then i have to restart what am i doing wrong.

im also doing a duel boot setup as well.

thank you again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scottd44

Re: Need Linux Mint 9 Help

Post by scottd44 »

wow am i not going to get any help with this issue??
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

I currently can't try this myself because I had a hard drive fail and I still need to reinstall Mint 9 but I'm hoping that Mint's recovery mode acts the same as Ubuntu's. It can't hurt for you to try this. If Mint is the only OS on your machine you'll need to press the Shift key just after the System/BIOS screen passes on reboot to display the grub menu.

Once there use the arrow keys to select recovery mode. It's also possible since this is a fresh install that no recovery mode is listed, if this is the case please read:
How to Boot to the Recovery Mode w/o a Menu Option

1. If you have Grub 2 set to boot without displaying the menu at all, hold the SHIFT key down until the menu displays. (In Grub it was the ESC key.)
2. Press any key once the menu is displayed to 'freeze' it. Then arrow to the kernel you want to boot.
3. Press "e"
4. Scroll to the end of the "linux /boot/vmlinuz...." line. If displayed, remove "quiet" and/or "splash". Add the word "single" to the end of the line.
5. Press CTRL-X to boot to the Recovery menu.
Credit for that goes here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Once recovery mode completes you should see several options:

resume
clean
dpkg
failsafeX
grub
netroot
root

In your case I'd select "failsafeX" and see what happens.

Note: you may have a "text based" login, not too sure. I'm "guessing" that Mint 9's recovery mode acts just like Ubuntu's but I could be wrong.

Whether or not that works it sounds like it may be a graphics issue so we'll need to see the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep VGA
I'm assuming you can at least run the Live CD, eh?

It could be several hours before I get back to this :(

While I'm busy I'll start a fresh install of Mint 9 so I can check out it's recovery mode options.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

I did get Mint 9 installed and checked the behavior of recovery mode and it is just as described. Hopefully we can figure something out :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”