LM8 with Grub 2 on Inspirion

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

LM8 with Grub 2 on Inspirion

Post by fwc »

Hey,
I just had a question about installing LM8 on a Dell Inspirion 1545. I think the hardware is fine but I wasn't sure if the bootloader would be a problem to restore. The thing is, i am afraid the boot partition is a custom Dell setup and since the laptop did not come with any external CDs. It makes restoring a little difficult. There is a partition for reinstalling Windows 7 which is very nice, but it also makes the machine a little vulnerable to partition editing. Thanks very much for any help and I wish Dell at least sent the customer a USB stick with recovery software; it only comes with a power cable and a box.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM8 with Grub 2 on Inspirion

Post by remoulder »

Are you sure the partition is a recovery one and not a diagnostics partition? If you press F12 on boot, do you get the option to run the diags. If it is a recovery partition, there should be an option to create CD's, if it's a diagnostic partition you can download this again from the Dell site.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”