Kernal requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686 CPU

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brokenspextex

Kernal requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686 CPU

Post by brokenspextex »

I am a novice with linux. I have had trouble in the past with Ubuntu 8.04 and never got it to work quite right. I still have it partitioned on my hard drive with windows. I recently was told about how linux mint would be a better option. I made a live dvd and a live cd today and the same problem came up. Everytime I would boot the disk an error message would say that, "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot- please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."
I tried my best to google this and look on your forum. I couldn't find anything that made sense to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
brokenspextex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Kernal requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686

Post by JasonLG »

You're trying to use the 64 Bit version on a 32 bit CPU. You'll need to download the i386 version, which is 32 bit and will work with your CPU.
glhallway

Re: Kernal requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686

Post by glhallway »

I have the same problem I have a AMD 64 3600+ currently run windows 7 Pro 64 bit but when I try to use VM to boot MINT I get the same error message ( Kernal requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686 CPU). I also have a 64 bit AMD 3200+ in my shop and get the same error message however I use XP SP3 32 bit OS on the shop computer any Ideas? Do you think it may be a problem with the AMD CPU?

Return to “Installation & Boot”