Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
weslowsk
Level 1
Level 1

boot from Live USB with persistent storage;no GUI after boot

Post by weslowsk »

Hi,

I ran the Live USB creator from an existing install of Linux Mint 9. The USB drive is 4GB. I selected 2GB for persistent storage.
After the creator ran successfully, I took the USB drive and popped it into a different laptop without a hard drive and started it up. First off, it waited for my input at a "boot:" prompt, to which I hit enter. From the GUI Grub menu, I choose the first option (boot Linux Mint). Once it was "done" booting and ready to bring me to the login screen, it changed to the command line. So, I'm stuck with a command prompt and no clue what to do from here. With my limited knowledge, I tried startx, but that didn't get anything going. By the way, I also chose to boot using compatibility mode from the Grub GUI menu but that didn't make a difference.
Anyone have any ideas? Can I give some debugging info to help you help me figure this out? Does the amount of persistent storage I chose for the USB matter; did my 2GB choice cause this problem?

Thanks...

Kevin

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: boot from Live USB with persistent storage;no GUI after

Post by dawgdoc »

I would recommend trying the USB drive on another computer to rule out an error in creating the boot-able USB drive.

A possibility with the laptop in question is a problem with KMS, Kernel Modesetting.
The post I cited is a different problem, but nomodeset solves a number of graphics problems induced at boot by KMS.

Kernel Modesetting and Memory Management
Summary
Currently, most graphics modes are initialized during the X server startup. Kernel Modesetting (referred to as KMS hereafter) moves this process from the X server's DDX drivers to the kernel,
The fix is to invoke the nomodeset boot parameter. See this post for instruction on how to invoke it and how to make it permanent.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

weslowsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weslowsk »

I tried the USB drive on another laptop with the same result. I tried the "nomodeset" suggestion. It did something because, on bootup, the Mint logo with the dots underneath of it changed to:
- only dots (the logo disappeared)
- the dots got bigger (assuming there was a change to a lower resolution)

However, I still got dumped to the command line once the boot was finished...just with a lower resolution than before.

I'll try creating another Live USB; this time without persistence and see if that changes anything...

Any other suggestions?

weslowsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weslowsk »

FYI, my Live USB, recreated, without persistence, now boots into the GUI. But for some reason it couldn't load the Main Menu applet when it first started. Oh well. I just added it to the panel and away I go.
I'll maybe try recreating the Live USB again, this time with persistence back on...see if third time's a charm? Maybe the USB drive is flaky?

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

It seems like you are on the right track, since it originally worked on neither laptop. I can agree with you wanting it with persistence and therefore re-creating it again.

Since it was better the second time around, that reduces the probability that your original .iso file is bad. But, checking the MD5sum of it would eliminate a little more doubt.
SYSTEMS:
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:

weslowsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weslowsk »

ok, third time I tried with the persistence on the Live USB, it wouldn't even start the boot (corrupted boot image?)...hmmmm...sounds like a flaky USB drive.
I grabbed my ancient 1GB USB drive and tried the persistence deal on it and GUI/everything ran just fine the first time I booted off of it...

so, I think my only problem with all of this was a cheap-o dud of a USB drive.

Thanks for contributing/reading!

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue.
SYSTEMS:
READING:

Return to “Installation & Boot”