Livedvd asking for login name and password?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chuck5620

Livedvd asking for login name and password?

Post by chuck5620 »

I have Mint 9 installed and wanted to have a dvd so I can install mint 9 on my sisters PC.
I downloaded, checked the md5sum and burnt the iso image to a dvd.
When I try to use the livedvd it gets to the splash screen and asks for a login name and a password.

There is nothing in the Mint manual to cover this situation.

This problem seems to have happened with mint4 according to a search of the forum.

Can anyone advise what the login name and password is?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lanhol
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Livedvd asking for login name and password?

Post by lanhol »

Having the same problem. MD5Sum checks out; checked the integrity of the disc, it's ok; tried noacpi, noapic, nomodeset, nothing works. Hope somebody comes up with an answer soon.
chuck5620

Post by chuck5620 »

The solution is to enter 'mint' as the user and leave the password blank.

Chuck
gge

Post by gge »

I have downloaded the live CD, not the DVD though am experiencing a similar condition.

following the instructions presented in the mint 9 isadora instruction manual, I find myself at the login screen for the desktop, being asked for a login and password.

if i input 'mint' and leave the password blank the login screen is re presented to me.

if i type in anything, else i am told that the authentication has failed.

this is an attempt to boot directly from a live disk, with no install.

what is happening does anybody think?
a2olson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a2olson »

On booting hit f3 or f2 use the second selection sorry not more tech but this should be brought to the attention of the user guide maintainer
netmanindy

Post by netmanindy »

Same problem here. I downloaded linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso and burned to DVD. When the DVD boots its request a login. mint with blank password does not work. Does anyone now the username and password? Or did i waste my time and a DVD by downloading mint. It appears to me that very basic QC testing was NOT done.
doty

Post by doty »

I experienced the exact problem during the last three hours. Finally I run the CD check from the boot menu and found there is a corrupted file on my CD. So I burnt a new CD. Now the annoying username and password boxes have gone and the installation process is going on smoothly.
hoosemon

Post by hoosemon »

I've experienced the same issue.

Tried a CD on 5 computers and only two didn't ask for a login

I just tried the Live DVD and it asked for a login on the first PC but didn't on the 2nd - Weird.

Anyway, I ran an MD5 check and had the DVD check it's integrity - both OK.

I used "mint" for user name and blank for password, and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

Hoosemon

Return to “Installation & Boot”