Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cath
Level 1
Level 1

WinXP & Isadora

Post by Cath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:05 am

I'm having a problem in my dual boot. I install Windows XP and then install Isadora and in the boot it doesn't appear any kind of panel, it just loads directly to Windows XP. I tried to do many things but cannot seem to make it work. Any ideas? Thank you.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WinXP & Isadora

Post by feed3 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:51 am

sounds like you "choose" to install grub2 to your root partition instead of the mbr of your hdd during your mint installation and perhaps you have choose the manual partitioning option back then.
you might need to install grub2 to your mbr and it SHOULD pick up win xp automatically and you can choose either to boot it or to boot mint. try search it in forum for how to installing grub2 to your hdd.
UNLESS, you are using 2 hdd and installing mint on another hdd, then it is the matter of just changing the boot order in your bios setting.

Cath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:03 am

feed3 wrote:sounds like you "choose" to install grub2 to your root partition instead of the mbr of your hdd during your mint installation and perhaps you have choose the manual partitioning option back then.
you might need to install grub2 to your mbr and it SHOULD pick up win xp automatically and you can choose either to boot it or to boot mint. try search it in forum for how to installing grub2 to your hdd.
UNLESS, you are using 2 hdd and installing mint on another hdd, then it is the matter of just changing the boot order in your bios setting.
I actually used the automatic mode. I'm trying it again, installed xp and now I'm installing mint, same hd. But I'll search what you recommended me.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 am

Cath wrote: I actually used the automatic mode. I'm trying it again, installed xp and now I'm installing mint, same hd. But I'll search what you recommended me.
you might want to google for mint installation how-to/walk-through on the net, but to sum up, if your machine boots directly to xp, meaning to say you are not seeing grub menu, it should be something to do with grub, missed some option somewhere to set maybe? but, try an error is the best way to learn though.. :) hope all goes well for you after this..

Return to “Installation & Boot”