SOLVED - Newbie - Dual Boot, Dual HD problems (XP, Linux)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jbeintherockies
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Newbie - Dual Boot, Dual HD problems (XP, Linux)

Post by jbeintherockies » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:35 pm

XP is installed on IDE IBM HD (/dev/sda)
Linux Mint is installed on SATA Hitachi HD (/dev/sdb)

When I installed Mint, I selected "Erase and use the entire disk", then selected (sdb) from the drop down menu. I did not choose to customize my partitions, allowing the installer to set that up. I also allowed the installer to install the boot loader to /dev/sda. I then watched as Mint was installed successfully (I think) and I selected to "reboot now".

When the machine reboots, I get a blank screen with a flashing prompt. So, I then hit `cntrl-alt-delete`, which reboots my machine. When prompted, I select F8 to get the boot menu. At this point, if I select the Hitachi hard drive, I get the blank screen again. If I select the original hard drive, I get the GRUB boot menu. Great. From the Grub boot menu, if I select Win XP (last choice) (/dev/sdb2), I get Windows XP. If I select Linux Mint (first choice) (/dev/sdb1), I get the following error:
"[ 1.703362] Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)"

After reading the various posts on this forum (Definitive Dual booting guide (DDBG), for example), I have a feeling there is an issue with my menu.lst file. But, I can't figure out how to get to that file to edit it. In the DDBG there is a link to a wiki page; but it doesn't work. Was the wiki page replaced or moved? Anyway, when I boot from the disk, I can get into Mint. However, if I open a terminal window and type `sudo grub`, it says command not found. I guess that doesn't work from the cd.

So, where do I go from here?

Thank you in advance for any assistance (or direction to topics, web sites, etc) you can provide. I'm going to get this to work; but I need help.
Last edited by jbeintherockies on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Newbie - Dual Boot, Dual HD problems (XP, Linux)

Post by breaker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 am

In grub drop to a command prompt and do some ls commands to see which drive is which and try to manually boot, you can use TAB completion. See the Ubuntu grub2 wiki for more, link in my sig..
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:06 am

jbeintherockies wrote:XP is installed on IDE IBM HD (/dev/sda)
Linux Mint is installed on SATA Hitachi HD (/dev/sdb)

I also allowed the installer to install the boot loader to /dev/sda.
Big mistake there. You should have installed Grub to /dev/sdb, since you also installed Mint there (it's a setting you could've changed at the last step prior to confirming the installation in the Ubiquity installer, by clicking the Advanced button. I hate how Ubiquity tries to hide that...). By installing Grub to /dev/sda, it'll search for both Mint and XP on sda; it'll find XP but it obviously won't find Mint. Grub isn't capable of searching other hard drives, besides the one it was installed to.

Now, I would recommend that you re-install Grub, and install it to /dev/sdb this time around. Follow these steps: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%2 ... a%20LiveCD
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

jbeintherockies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbeintherockies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Vincent,

If I install the boot installer (Grub2) to sdb, do I leave the boot installer installed on sda? If the boot installer is only on sdb, won't I have the same problem, only now it won't find XP?

StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by StanTheMan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm

As I understand it , " writing the MBR " and " installing grub2 " are two different things.
Normally you write the MBR to the master drive , but the " root " of the grub2 installation will be on the "root" partition where the Linux operating system is , and which will have the actual Boot List .

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

You can leave Grub installed in the MBR on /dev/sda if you want, it'll be able to load WIndows even if Mint isn't located on that drive. And yes, if you install Grub to /dev/sdb, you'll have the same "problem", you'll be able to boot Mint from sdb, but not XP. You see, Grub is only capable of booting operating systems installed on the hard drive where Grub is also installed; you cannot use sdb's Grub to boot sda's XP, and vice versa. Windows' boot manager can't do that either, and I have yet to see a bootloader that is capable of doing so (of recognizing other hard drives present on the computer and booting from those other hard drives). You see, this is why computers have boot menus (the menu you get when you press F8).

As an aside, you won't find menu.lst on Mint. That was the config file for Grub Legacy. Mint now uses Grub 2, which uses /boot/grub/grub.cfg as the main config file, along with /etc/default/grub and a host of scripts located in the /etc/grub.d/ directory.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

jbeintherockies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbeintherockies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 pm

vincent wrote:You can leave Grub installed in the MBR on /dev/sda if you want, it'll be able to load WIndows even if Mint isn't located on that drive. And yes, if you install Grub to /dev/sdb, you'll have the same "problem", you'll be able to boot Mint from sdb, but not XP. You see, Grub is only capable of booting operating systems installed on the hard drive where Grub is also installed; you cannot use sdb's Grub to boot sda's XP, and vice versa. Windows' boot manager can't do that either, and I have yet to see a bootloader that is capable of doing so (of recognizing other hard drives present on the computer and booting from those other hard drives). You see, this is why computers have boot menus (the menu you get when you press F8).

As an aside, you won't find menu.lst on Mint. That was the config file for Grub Legacy. Mint now uses Grub 2, which uses /boot/grub/grub.cfg as the main config file, along with /etc/default/grub and a host of scripts located in the /etc/grub.d/ directory.

Vincent, I followed the directions on the link you provided under the "Recover Grub 2 via Live CD" section. I'm getting the same error as before. Maybe I should just reinstall the Mint from the liveCD and this time install the bootloader to sdb. What do you think of that idea?

Also, when I executed `update grub`, it identified XP on /dev/sda; but not Linux on /dev/sdb. I'm not sure if that means anything, but I thought it was strange.

jbeintherockies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbeintherockies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Maybe I should just reinstall the Mint from the liveCD and this time install the bootloader to sdb.
Yup, that did it; I'm in. So, now I understand that grub is the boot loader for Mint and windows has its own boot loader, which must be installed when windows is installed. I thought grub would "figure out" what os's were available and based on what i selected, choose the appropriate hd. Not so. I wish the Official User Guide for Mint would explain more about grub and its purpose. Also, the OUG should include a snapshot of the "Advanced" popup window.

Cool. Thanks for the help. Now I will install my driver for my wireless network card.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 am

jbeintherockies wrote:
Maybe I should just reinstall the Mint from the liveCD and this time install the bootloader to sdb.
Yup, that did it; I'm in. So, now I understand that grub is the boot loader for Mint and windows has its own boot loader, which must be installed when windows is installed. I thought grub would "figure out" what os's were available and based on what i selected, choose the appropriate hd. Not so. I wish the Official User Guide for Mint would explain more about grub and its purpose. Also, the OUG should include a snapshot of the "Advanced" popup window.

Cool. Thanks for the help. Now I will install my driver for my wireless network card.
Grub was designed for being able to recognize and boot different OS'es in a multi-OS environment, which puts it in a better position over bootloaders like Windows', and LILO (the original bootloader that was used a decade ago or so for Linux, still used by Slackware). However, I don't think you understand what I've been trying to say over and over...Grub was not designed for booting different OS'es from different hard drives. Again, I doubt any bootloader is capable of doing so, that's why there's an inbuilt Boot Menu in your BIOS.

And yeah, the Advanced popup menu and the way Ubiquity tries to "hide" it towards the end is one of the things I hate about it. Other distros are more straight-up front on where Grub is going to be placed (even though most of them always try to overwrite your MBR by default...annoying. OpenSUSE does this much better, at least...YAST is capable of recognizing a multi-boot environment and offer to install Grub in its own root partition, not the MBR, by default).

jbeintherockies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbeintherockies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't think you understand what I've been trying to say over and over...Grub was not designed for booting different OS'es from different hard drives.
Thanks Vincent for the helpful post. I didn't realize what Grub was designed to do until you provided some background info. I should have given you "props" for leading me in that direction. I'm happy I was able to get it working and I thank you again for your help! :D

Peace

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: SOLVED - Newbie - Dual Boot, Dual HD problems (XP, Linux

Post by vincent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 am

No problem! Don't worry, I had a fair bit of trouble with Grub when I first started playing with a dual-boot setup as well. :P

breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by breaker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 am

vincent wrote:
jbeintherockies wrote:

Grub was designed for being able to recognize and boot different OS'es in a multi-OS environment, which puts it in a better position over bootloaders like Windows', and LILO (the original bootloader that was used a decade ago or so for Linux, still used by Slackware). However, I don't think you understand what I've been trying to say over and over...Grub was not designed for booting different OS'es from different hard drives. Again, I doubt any bootloader is capable of doing so, that's why there's an inbuilt Boot Menu in your BIOS.

And yeah, the Advanced popup menu and the way Ubiquity tries to "hide" it towards the end is one of the things I hate about it. Other distros are more straight-up front on where Grub is going to be placed (even though most of them always try to overwrite your MBR by default...annoying. OpenSUSE does this much better, at least...YAST is capable of recognizing a multi-boot environment and offer to install Grub in its own root partition, not the MBR, by default).
Yes, the Advanced section about where you want the GRUB boot strap to live was missed by myself the first time I wanted to add another version of Mint to another partition on another drive, so I had to learn about GRUB.

I'm not sure what you mean about GRUB not being able to boot different OSes from different drives. What about the GRUB boot strap on your first BIOS drive MBR, and a chainload to a Windows boot loader on the same drive, and a menuentry to boot Linux on one or more additional drives? That's what I do. Of course, one distro needs to be home to /boot/grub, meaning the modules and grub.cfg.

For clarification, here's my grub.cfg, which illustrates booting different OSes from different drives (plus some bootable ISOs and floppy images):

Code: Select all

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
  set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then
    saved_entry=${chosen}
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
insmod ext2
set root=(hd2,5)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9b26a82d-9011-40ea-b97c-3deb4b0f9ee8
if loadfont /share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=640x480
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
    # understand terminal_output
    terminal gfxterm
  fi
fi
insmod ext2
set root=(hd2,1)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set a3a25440-b94a-4210-88c6-6b8ab6909e61
set locale_dir=($root)/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
set timeout=5
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
insmod ext2
set root=(hd2,5)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9b26a82d-9011-40ea-b97c-3deb4b0f9ee8
insmod tga
if background_image /share/images/grub/Moraine_Lake_17092005.tga ; then
  set color_normal=black/black
  set color_highlight=magenta/black
else
  set menu_color_normal=black/green
  set menu_color_highlight=white/green
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/12_Gloria ###
menuentry "Linux Mint Gloria XFCE" {
	set root=(hd2,1)
	linux	/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sdc2 ro quiet splash
	initrd	/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/12_Gloria ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/13_Helena ###
menuentry "Helena Xfce RC1" {
	set root=(hd3,2)
	linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sdd2 ro quiet splash 
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/13_Helena ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/14_OpenBSD ###
set root=(hd3,1)
menuentry "OpenBSD 4.6" {
	chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/14_OpenBSD ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/15_chainusb ###
menuentry "chainload UFD" {
	set root=(hd4,1)
	chainloader +1
}
menuentry "chainload grub.exe" {
	set root=(hd4,1)
	linux16 /grub.exe
}
### END /etc/grub.d/15_chainusb ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/18_WinXP64 ###
menuentry "WinXP64" {
	set root=(hd0,1)
	chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/18_WinXP64 ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/22_tipsy ###
menuentry "Tipsy Puppy" {
set root=(hd1,4)
linux   /tipsy/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=satahd
initrd  /tipsy/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Tipsy Puppy - RAM" {
set root=(hd1,4)
linux /tipsy/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram pmedia=satahd
initrd /tipsy/initrd.gz
}
### END /etc/grub.d/22_tipsy ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/32_iso ###
menuentry "slitaz-2.0 Live CD" {
 loopback loop (hd1,4)/slitaz-2.0.iso
 linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz pmedia=satahd iso-scan/filename=/slitaz-2.0.iso --
 initrd (loop)/boot/rootfs.gz
}
menuentry "Helena Xfce Live CD" {
loopback loop (hd1,4)/LinuxMint-8-Xfce-RC1.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/LinuxMint-8-Xfce-RC1.iso noeject noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
menuentry "Helena 64bit Live CD" {
 loopback loop (hd1,4)/LinuxMint-8-x64.iso
 linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/LinuxMint-8-x64.iso noeject noprompt --
 initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
 menuentry "Grml small 2009.10 Live CD" {
  loopback loop (hd1,4)/grml-small_2009.10.iso
  linux (loop)/boot/grmlsmall/linux26 findiso=/grml-small_2009.10.iso lang=us boot=live nomce noeject noprompt --
  initrd (loop)/boot/grmlsmall/initrd.gz
}
 menuentry "tinycore Live CD" {
 loopback loop (hd1,4)/tinycore_2.7.iso
 linux (loop)/boot/bzImage --
 initrd (loop)/boot/tinycore.gz
}
menuentry "Gentoo Linux minimal install cd x86" {
        loopback loop (hd1,4)/install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso
        linux (loop)/isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc dokeymap
looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot initrd=gentoo.igz vga=791
isoboot=/install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso
        initrd (loop)/isolinux/gentoo.igz
}
### END /etc/grub.d/32_iso ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_multiboot ###
# Ajout de MultiBoot-v3

### MULTIBOOT MENU
menuentry "PLoP Boot Manager" {
	set root=(hd2,1)
	linux16 /plpbt
}

menuentry "GRUB4DOS" {
	set root=(hd2,1)
	linux16 /grub.exe
}

menuentry "Smart Boot Manager" {
	set root=(hd2,1)
	linux16 /memdisk
	initrd16 /sbootmgr.dsk
}
### FIN MULTIBOOT MENU
### END /etc/grub.d/40_multiboot ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/50_images ###
menuentry "Bootable floppy: aida" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/aida.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: dban" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/dban.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: freedos" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/freedos.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: gag" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/gag.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: memtestp" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/memtestp.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: mhdd" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/mhdd.img
}
menuentry "Bootable floppy: ranish" {
	insmod ext2
	set root=(hd2,1)
        linux16 /memdisk bigraw
        initrd16 /images/ranish.img
}
### END /etc/grub.d/50_images ###
AND

Code: Select all

$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4c894c88

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       30401   244196001    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x00006539

/dev/sdb1               1       18748   150593278+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2           18749       19140     3148740    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb3           19769       20023     2048287+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb4           19141       19768     5044410    b  W95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdc: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000db77b

/dev/sdc1   *           1          12       96358+  83  Linux
/dev/sdc2              13         292     2249100   83  Linux
/dev/sdc3             293       20023   158489257+   5  Extended
/dev/sdc5             293        1508     9767488+  83  Linux
/dev/sdc6            1509        1873     2931831   83  Linux
/dev/sdc7            1874       20023   145789843+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdd: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00074c0f

/dev/sdd1   *           1        2490    20000893+  a6  OpenBSD
/dev/sdd2            2491        4980    20000925   83  Linux
/dev/sdd3   *        4981       20023   120832897+   7  HPFS/NTFS
A great tool not to forget for troubleshooting boot problems is the boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/

gwolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED - Newbie - Dual Boot, Dual HD problems (XP, Linux

Post by gwolfe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Wierd. I have XP installed on a SATA drive and I installed mint on an IDE drive and I had no problem whatsoever. Grub shows XP. I didn't have to do anything

Return to “Installation & Boot”