xp very slow boot after adding LM9

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juicer
Level 4
Level 4

xp very slow boot after adding LM9

Post by juicer »

Dell D400 30GB hard drive 1.5Gig Ram Not much but a few documents on the HD before LM9 install.
So after finally getting the Live USB to run but having to insert "i915modeset=1 intel =driver" before quiet splash every time I started
a new session, I decided to install it along side the xp. I downloaded the suggested updates and inserted the "i915modeset" so as to run permanently. No other changes.
I used the automatic install as I am not experienced with manual partition.
VERY noticeable slowdown of the xp boot now that it is running next to LM9.
The configuration of partitions as viewed through xp shows 16 GB drive c NTFS
13 GB logical drive
556MB logical drive
1. Am I correct to assume the latter 2 drives were created by LM9 installer (in the event I need to undo the install and start over)?
2. Is there anything in how this was installed that would cause xp to boot so slow?
3. One other problem (noted elsewhere on the forum) is that when I close the lid one time, and the computer goes into suspend, I am able to open the lid and awake LM9 (although it requires password even though I have unchecked this setting in controls and password is not requested when I boot into LM9). HOWEVER, the second time I close the lid and reopen it, the computer freezes.
This same function of suspend on close lid works perfectly fine under xp.
Is there a fix for this yet with LM9?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.
revdjenk

Re: xp very slow boot after adding LM9

Post by revdjenk »

juicer,

I'll answer only the questions i know...

1. correct, Mint made two new partitions, the larger will contain your Mint, apps, settings and data. (It would be best to learn about making these partitions manually in the future, as you can put your data on a separate partition to be untouched when you make changes, like updating Mint to a new version.) The smaller partition is called the swap. Linux uses this to augment the ram memory.
2. xp may be booting slow(er) because it is detecting the changes to the hdd space, and struggling to understand why?
3. You can change the need for a password after suspend; goto this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p283577
I can't answer about the second suspend problem...but only know that suspend is one of the last hardware problem areas for linux.

God bless
Doug
juicer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by juicer »

Thanks Doug.
Worked like a charm for password.
Found a larger HD lying around so I will do a clean install of just LM9 on this HD, learning partitioning along the way, and see how LM9 flies solo on this machine.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

Juicer,

Yay! Glad that thread was helpful!

I would suggest the following partitions at minimum:
"/" or root partition (without the " 's) This partition would hold the kernel and most apps. Suggest 6-10 gb size (When one updates, upgrades or "Horrors!" changes distros, this is the partition that would get changed, leaving others alone.)
/home This partition would hold your app settings, data. This partition does not get changed with updates, etc. It is still prudent to backup before doing so! Include the rest of the hdd minus the /swap (see below)
/swap Mentioned in the thread above. for you 1gb should be plenty.

There are other suggested breakdowns, but this is the setup for many Linux users.

God Bless
Doug
juicer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by juicer »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 74#p301374
Hi Doug,
Before I saw your suggestion I was googled into partitioning (1) 100MEG /boot (2) 4GB swap area (3)15GB / and the remainder in (4) /home but if you see my last post in link above, I may have created some problems along the way.?
Is the fault in using the commands getting me to a "wrong" directory?
Edit: First I went back and reformatted as you suggested thinking I had done something wrong. But then alas the sky wasn't falling. I had forgotten the step of holding down both shift keys when booting from HD to get to grub. Doh!
All is Minty now.

Return to “Installation & Boot”